Welcome, Guest
Retrode
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Retrode

Retrode 12 years, 6 months ago #2645

I came across this during my internet adventures today. I thought it looked interesting. Essentially it allows you to play your real physical game cartridges on your computer by using an emulator as the 'console engine'. (Retrode + Emulator + Computer = gaming). It allows your game cartridges to appear on the desktop like a USB thumb drive. You can of course back up the cartridge as a typical ROM file as well.

http://www.retrode.org/

Sort of a good thing to point to in a world where Nintendo in particular sees ALL emulators as illegal and argue that they have no place in the world other than to promote piracy and distribution of ROM images.

Update: I found a nice overview of how it all works (on Mac) and features the new version 2 unit coming out...

Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by Mucx.

Re: Retrode 12 years, 6 months ago #2646

Really an interesting piece of hardware, especially with the plugin adaptors which open it up for N64, Virtual Boy, and others.

Re: Retrode 12 years, 6 months ago #2647

Curious… I only watched a bit of it (I will watch more later) it seems you could dump the ROMs as well…

Sort of a good thing to point to in a world where Nintendo in particular sees ALL emulators as illegal and argue that they have no place in the world other than to promote piracy and distribution of ROM images.

BS. BS. BS. IMO, If people Hackintosh, and 89% of Mac forums are okay with allowing topics on how to do that… Wouldn't I be allowed to Rip the games so I can play them on my MacBook when I am not near my computer?

Re: Retrode 12 years, 6 months ago #2648

Exactly, there is no difference in ripping a CD for playback on your computer via iTunes than that of a cartridge for playback via an emulator. This, allows anyone to do that.

Re: Retrode 12 years, 6 months ago #2650

Oh wow, this is absolutely fantastic! You even get a copy of your SRAM. Very nice find, Mucx.

Time to create page: 0.11 seconds