Welcome, Guest
SNES Rom Tool?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: SNES Rom Tool?

SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 3 months ago #2050

Does anyone know of a SNES Rom editing tool that can extract files from an .smc file? I want to get the sounds files to make SMS tones for my iPhone.

Re:SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 3 months ago #2051

I believe SNES9X will create SPC files

Audio Overload to play them.

www.bannister.org/software/ao.htm

You can probably find any music you are looking for here:
snesmusic.org/v2/
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by menace690.

Re:SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 3 months ago #2054

Awesome, I went to the SNESMusic website you suggested, and it had a ton of files that I utilized. But I am puzzled by using SNES9X, how do I capture certain files, ie: Mario passing the check point? Thanks!

Re:SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 3 months ago #2055

Not easily. SNES sound isn't stored as samples you can simply extract. Rather, it is generated on the fly by programs written for the SPC700 processor. If you want to capture a specific sound, the best bet is to record the output of an emulator while you're playing the game and edit the output down to what you want.

Re:SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 3 months ago #2057

Thanks for the info. Also, I know you haven't updated Audio Overload in a while but there seems to be an issues when you select "Precalculate Optimum Volume Level," it only plays about half the sounds clip. And is there an easier was to convert the SPC to a wave file? Some of the small clips are hard to convert because AO only seems to let you convert to a .wav when the song is playing.

Re:SNES Rom Tool? 13 years, 2 months ago #2059

Richard Bannister wrote:
Not easily. SNES sound isn't stored as samples you can simply extract. Rather, it is generated on the fly by programs written for the SPC700 processor. If you want to capture a specific sound, the best bet is to record the output of an emulator while you're playing the game and edit the output down to what you want.

I'll go one better for ya - use Audio Hijack while playing the SNES sounds from RB's Audio Overload app. No need to play with game controls and dealing with other sfx in the mix - just play the .smc files (the ones from the site listed above are the best) and then do as Richard suggests and cut down the sound to what you want for output in any sound editing app.

The other option, if you have CrossOver, is to install Winamp 5 or later and download and install the NotSoFatso and SNESAmp plugins for it (Highly Experimental works wonders for Playstation/PS2 audio files). You can then choose the output to be to disk and it'll play the song for however long the tag says to in the SNES music file. That'll save the song directly to disk for the preset amount of time, usually in seconds, and no editing is needed. That's how I got WAV files of those songs onto my ipod.

Time to create page: 0.12 seconds