Welcome, Guest
Looking for historical data... emulation.net
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Looking for historical data... emulation.net

Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 7 months ago #4576

Hey guys; over the years, I seem to have lost track of where emulation.net was hosted when we moved to the emuscene.com server. Anyone remember the subdomain it was vhosted on so I can look it up in archive.org?

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 6 months ago #4577

Do ya mean:

mac.emuscene.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: _Em

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 6 months ago #4578

No... that was after we moved things off the emulation.net format into EmuScene proper. Before that, it was hosted separately. And talking about it just reminded me of the location, so thanks! It was emulation.victoly.com

Unfortunately, it looks like Archive.org munged some of the pages and didn't fully archive them. Still, a partial copy is better than none.

I'm pretty sure this was before EmuScene had the massive meltdown where a bunch of historical data was permanently lost (likely including all of emulation.net -- Niemann, care to weigh in here?).
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by _Em.

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 6 months ago #4579

Sorry I'm late to the party (actually working on a new MacScene on and off again the last couple months).

Long story, but _Em is right about Emuscene's demise. Back in 2008 we lost the domain name for emuscene when the company we had it registered through vanished and became completely unresponsive (even took my $11/yr. registration fee and never responded). We lost everything almost over night when the domain was suddenly transferred to a new company shortly after they became unresponsive.

This led to the creation of MacScene.

Glad you were able to find some backup of Emulation.net.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Niemann.

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 6 months ago #4580

Niemann wrote:
Sorry I'm late to the party (actually working on a new MacScene on and off again the last couple months).

Long story, but _Em is right about Emuscene's demise. Back in 2008 we lost the domain name for emuscene when the company we had it registered through vanished and became completely unresponsive (even took my $11/yr. registration fee and never responded). We lost everything almost over night when the domain was suddenly transferred to a new company shortly after they became unresponsive.

This led to the creation of MacScene.

Glad you were able to find some backup of Emulation.net.

That's a pain!

I used a scummy (popular) domain rego service for another domain and IMO they basically stole it. I was overseas, it was paid up using my Aussie credit card (which expired) and they never told me that the payment bounced. First I know of it, my main e-mail address (which I checked every day) was down and the website was gone. Like... goooone! On the day that my e-mail failed, somebody (affiliated with the hosting company) already owned the domain. This was maybe ~12 years ago.

Out of interest I checked what happened to it a few months ago. My previous domain rego company is STILL squatting on it, but not they want me to pay ~$20,000 to buy it back. I had a long phone conversation with them where I was like 'but literally nobody else will ever want this... it is a play on my name... I'm happy to pay $200 or something but nobody will give you $20,000... you stole it from me and this is messed up!!!'

Oddly, they now call me on a semi-regular basis trying to sell it to me for $20,000. I'll never use that host ever again. IMO it was the scummiest thing to do and it's REALLY annoying how they can just sit on it like that without using it.

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 5 months ago #4587

Heh. Victoly. Man, those were the days, eh? 8BP and just hagin' around. I wonder if there's still even a server up that the folks there come to these days. I know it wouldn't be Hotline as that's long been dead, but maybe an 8BP Discord?

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 5 months ago #4588

Squishy Tia wrote:
Heh. Victoly. Man, those were the days, eh? 8BP and just hagin' around. I wonder if there's still even a server up that the folks there come to these days. I know it wouldn't be Hotline as that's long been dead, but maybe an 8BP Discord?

There's a Facebook group.

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 5 months ago #4590

Squishy Tia wrote:

Hotline's still alive FWIW (probably not 8BP but there's still trackers and stuff). Bunch of tragics but there's still people developing new clients with support for badmoon icons and stuff.

Interestingly I never got why they focussed on 8-bit consoles. Now I have ~20 Game Gears that I've restored and 200+ games. I play GG for at least an hour every night and love my 8-bit goodness.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by jetboy.

Re: Looking for historical data... emulation.net 3 years, 4 months ago #4591

Richard Bannister wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

There's a Facebook group.

Tried joining but got rejected. I get the feeling it's a pretty small/inactive/closed group?

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds