Welcome, Guest
Scifi shows
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Scifi shows

Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2261

I'll admit I am a nerd when it comes to scifi shows, specifically space ones. Stargate Universe just ended tonight. Not the best SciFi show there has been by any means, but I feel like now what... There are no scifi shows about space travel anymore. I've watched all the star trek series, the stargate series, Firefly, battlestar galactica...

Yes this is a rant, but seriously, has the television industry decided that people don't like space anymore? The content was there at times, but after 3 series and a cumulative 16 seasons, of course the writing ended up getting a bit stale in the stargate series, but Firefly... that had at least a season or two orf quality stories left. Hell, Firefly alone makes me want to see a Han Solo, the early years TV show.. Or even a live action star wars show. (Although the prequels have me second guessing that)

Or is it just that the average person isn't interested in exploring the stars? The government seems less and less focused on getting us out there. Is this indicative of a larger issue?

No need to answer any of my questions, I needed to express my frustration.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2262

menace690 wrote:
Or even a live action star wars show.

Isn't that due soon? I'm not really looking forward to it, although I'm curious to see what it'd be like.

I'm trying to think but I really never got very far into much sci-fi on TV. Apart from Star Trek TOS, the only other show that I like with space travel is probably Red Dwarf

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2263

Lucas believes the world is going to end in 2012, that's why he's only doing the 3D treatment to one of his movies.

Speaking of movies, I went and saw Thor last night, and before the movie there was a series by TNT that looks like it could be good. I've already forgotten it's name, but it looks like it could be a decent sci-fi series. Not exploring the stars though, it looks more like it's if aliens came to earth instead.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2264

That reminds me, I've got to make sure I only get good Star Wars on Blu-ray and not the entire box set.

Did see Invasion? That was a series about aliens coming to Earth, sort of an us and them, bodysnatchers type thing. A bit crappy around the edges but mainly enjoyable.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2265

I loved SG:1 and SG:A, but SG:U I never could get into. It wasn't SG burnout, just...not my cup of tea.

On the bright side of things, July 26th brings Dante's Peak (YAY!) and Stargate: Atlantis onto Blu-Ray. Woohooooooooooooo!

Now if only they'd make a BD for Volcano...

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2267

I'm a BSG nut, V (original series), War of the Worlds (original series) and Star Wars Clone Wars lover. I couldn't stand what they did to V in the remake. Why ruin a good thing?

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2269

At least they had Morena Baccarin as Diana. Evil and hot. She played well as the main villainess in SG:1 S9/S10.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2271

SGU was kind of like BSG. From what my take on the show is, they tried to fit the drama of BSG into the SG series. It definitely had a so-so start, but season 2 I was enjoying, especially the second half.

Initially, there was a lot of internal strife which wasn't always well written. During season 2, they brought on consistent external threats, finally making the show feel like Stargate. There was a bad guy, they were always cornered, and they were in a galaxy that machines had become the dominant threat. The machine threat is definitely a consistent theme, (replicators in SG-1 and Atlantis). Its another sci-fi theme that I personally find very interesting. Its definitely something that could happen. Its also why I enjoy Mass Effect.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2273

I enjoyed the SG movie when it came out. I sold a complete set of unopened figures and vehicles to a guy in Holland. He was a big SG fan to pay that kind of shipping. I see there are what a couple SG's out there which one would be worth me watching? I think they are on Netflix so I could try one out. Do any of them tie into the movie at all?

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2274

You should checkout Starge SG-1, it essentially carries on from where the movie left off (2 years after?).

It is some watchable sci-fi and had some really good moments.
Granted it got a bit cartoony with the inability for its main cast to die, and the ever inexplicable ways of coming out of things unscathed.

Then came Stargate Atlantis. It was a direct spin-off from SG-1.
Interesting dynamic and setting which was even more of a 'cartoon'.
Still it was watchable turn your brain off sci-fi tosh. (I like Stargate but Im not shy in saying it was also a bit stupid).

Then we had Stargate Universe which was infintely more serious, and I actually enjoyed this gritty slant to Stargate storytelling.
Problems seemed big and almost unsolvable. Each turn was a struggle. You felt our protagonists plight.
It just failed due to bad pacing and its lack of clear black n' white storytelling. (i.e. who are we rooting for, who are we rooting against... what are their names and what do they look like?).
It got pretty good in the second season as they clearly listened to some feedback... but it was cut short as they already burned some bridges with the fans and the studio. Still, it was decent sci-fi.
Last Edit: 12 years, 10 months ago by Mucx.

Re:Scifi shows 12 years, 10 months ago #2275

I went ahead and ordered an omnibus of the first four DS9 "relaunch" novels last week. Have you read any of those?

There's never been a ton of good SF on TV. I guess we just have to be patient and wait ahile for the next big thing (which will run for a season and a half before going off the air).
Last Edit: 12 years, 10 months ago by WatchSmart. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds