Welcome, Guest
Anyone still using a G5?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Anyone still using a G5?

Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #407

Just curious. My desktop is one of the last line of G5's Apple produced. It works fine for my needs. I'm an Art Director and use CS4 on it and FCP with no problems. Sure the apps start slow and the render times take a bit but it really performs just fine. I do all my emulation on it except MAME I built a cabinet for that. I have a first gen Intel MacBook and it serves the needs I have. Just curious what the oldest system is people are still using to do their work or emulation. I'd love a new MacBook Pro (who wouldn't) but life isn't throwing those cards at me anytime soon. Obviously my work machine is up to date and it spoils me but I don't feel cheated coming home.
Last Edit: 14 years, 2 months ago by Pixelcade.

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #408

I'm still using a Powermac G5 for emulation and as a Logic Node. I picked it up super-cheap from my University in a surplus equipment sale about the same time my old iMac G5 died. It gets plenty of use!

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #409

I have a first generation PowerMac G5 2.0GHz. It's my primary machine.

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #410

My Dad has both G4 and G5 towers as the primary machines at work. He's also planning on reinstating our old eMac for employees to check the status of jobs, view photos, etc. (He runs a window furnishing - blinds and awnings, mostly - business.)

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #411

These posts are making me feel less insane for not feeling bad about using this machine. Be it I'm the only person I know outside work that uses Mac's and have for the longest time. The only reason I have a windows box is for yes gaming. And the sad part is I only have 5 games that I play. I was a WoW player and it played better on my G5 than it did my at the time top of the line PC. Keep it coming folks I'm enjoying hearing what people are using that isn't modern as their prime machine.

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #415

Still have my MBP SantaRosa as my primary, but in my new apartment it's become tethered to the cable modem and doubling as a base station mostly for my TiBook, which apart from getting a hard drive transplant after a major meltdown right after I moved in, is also still running great. Prometheus (PowerMacintosh 8500/120, now with a G4/800 daughtercard and Radeon PCI graphics) is situated comfortably in my new desk, but I'm gonna need to retrieve his ubermonitor from Pittsburgh before I'll be able to get him fully set up.
All that, and I still may grab a G5 quad at some point for the PPC legacy

Re:Anyone still using a G5? 14 years, 2 months ago #429

This isn't a machine, but my monitor is almost 15 years old. The computer it came with was running Windows ME and I put it into storage (my closet) 2 years ago. I have no idea what it is called though. lol

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds