Welcome, Guest
Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you

Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3437

Don't hate... but I just got 3 new toys today. I'm looking for advice though.

First is Mountain Lion, which I'm sure many of you have.. no biggie.

2nd is a Google Nexus. What should I do with this thing? I bought it to support the new OS for my company's Android cell phone users, but no clue whats worth getting software wise.

3rd. Macbook Pro Retina. I am going to be treating this as a FRESH machine, no history from any of my others computers. What software do you guys use regularly. Is there anything I absolutely should have on here.
Currently I have
Parallels
Office 2011
TextWrangler
MAMP
Unrarx
Photoshop Elements

Re: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3438

Firefox
Transmission (BitTorrent)
MPlayer OSX Extended (video)

Re: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3439

When you say Nexus, do you mean the tablet? Tested posted a good list of essential tweaks, which includes app suggestions. I'll be getting one when I can afford it (either mid-August or mid-September, probably).

For the MacBook, a lot of my must-have software is specific to writers and journos — not much use to do. A few gems that might come in handy:
Evernote
ScreenFloat (way more useful than I ever imagined - I reviewed it)
SyncMate (for backing up your Nexus)
Archy (if you use Google Drive)

Re: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3440

To answer number 3:
All I can think of is XLD (Audio encoding), VLC, Archiver (for all kinds of archive extraction) and ScreenFlow (Desktop video recording).

If you should ever need to work with videos of different sources I can also recommend Mediainfo (shows you all the information you need about video files: codec, resolution, framerate, scan type, encode settings,...) and Handbrake (video encoding).

Re: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3441

Thanks guys, can't believe I had forgotten VLC.

Those tweeks are great. Thank you. I was really annoyed by the orientation lock.

Everything else I'll give a look.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good FTP client. I generally use Filezilla, but I as silly as it is, I hate its update procedure enough to find something else (tells you to download, quit, uncompress, and copy yourself).

Re: Ok.. so I good day for me.. questions for you 11 years, 9 months ago #3442

menace690 you know I'm a big fan of Coda and Transmit, both provide good FTP experiences. Coda 2 is a bit buggy, but includes some features you might like for your work on Archive.

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds