Welcome, Guest
iBook AirPort problems?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: iBook AirPort problems?

iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3208

I had to reinstall OS 9.2.1 on my iBook because of a file system error. Anyway, that went off without a hitch, but after I got the system reinstalled, I haven't been able to connect to my router via AirPort. It was able to connect before, so I'm not sure what happened. I was wondering if anyone could walk me through some troubleshooting steps.

Currently, I can connect to the router using AirPort and enter the password, and, while it shows as connected, the browser isn't able to find any web pages. Software Update says that it is not able to connect to the Internet.

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3209

Can you get at anything directly via IP address? It's been a long while since I had to debug network, let alone wifi, on OS9, but if you can get a signal but not get out to the internet, it may mean your DNS settings are wonky. Small chance it may also be DHCP and your iBook trying to provide its own address to a dynamic system or something. I'm assuming you've already hopped on a wired connection and tracked down the most-most-recent system updates for OS9- wifi was in fact still in its infancy then, and many now-common network encryptions weren't supported. You could have very easily rolled back to something that predates what your router is configured with, in which case credentials may go through due to similarity with some legacy encryption but the data would still be garbage.

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3217

Trying to connect to IP addresses does not work, either. It spends nearly a minute or so trying to connect but fails. It can connect via a wired connection, and I was able to update to 9.2.2 just fine. It still won't connect over WiFI with 9.2.2 installed. One thing I noticed is that the AirPort app is unable to get the router's status over WiFi but was able to over Ethernet. I took some screenshots of this. The first two are what happens if I try to connect over WiFi, the last over Ethernet.

Incidentally, the 9.x updates, including 9.2.2, aren't available to download from Apple's site anymore. Currently, they're still on Software Update, but someone needs to mirror them (and some of the older Mac OS X updates) before Apple decides to remove them from Software Update. Also, on Snow Leopard, PICT files are supported in QuickLook without any need to change to 32-bit mode, unlike Preview. I'm a bit surprised by that.
Attachments:

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3219

Then you may still be up against an encryption OS9 doesn't know or default to. I may not be able to fix it, but stating what your wifi is configured as may help someone a little more practiced diagnose the problem. I know I have to keep mine down at some mid-grade settings, and even then I can only use raw hex passwords at least to support my TiBook on 10.4.

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3221

If you go through
download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Ar...can/Macintosh/System
and try to get MacOS 9.2.1, you'll be brought to an Export Compliance Agreement page. From there, you can select MacOS 9.2.2 and get brought to this page:
support.apple.com/kb/DL1293?viewlocale=en_US
where you can download the update. I started the download and it did work. I'd assume MacOS 9.2.1 and earlier are the same.

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3235

The router is set to WEP, both because it was the default and because of legacy devices like the iBook and DSes. I had been able to connect to the WiFi before I had to reinstall the OS, so I know it does work.

Re: iBook AirPort problems? 12 years, 1 month ago #3236

What happens if you turn security off temporarily?

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds