Welcome, Guest
iOS 5 & iCloud
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: iOS 5 & iCloud

iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2657

I think we've probably discussed these things here before but now that they've arrived I figured I could bring them up again. How are people feeling about the features on offer?

The list seems pretty long for iOS 5 so I'm keen to see how they'll all pan out - the notifications look so much better for a start. I'm still living in hope of a better home screen (organising apps is crap and everyone knows it) but I don't know if that's high on the agenda or not.

Additionally, I just found out that Lion is required to use iCloud features on a Mac (as those who follow me on Twitter will know) which pretty much destroys the only thing I was looking forward to: keeping all my contacts and calendars in sync across my Mac, iPad and iPhone with no additional effort/plugging in. Maybe 10.6.9 will bring support for it?

EDIT: Just found out that Vista users will still enjoy these iCloud features. Vista users. WINDOWS VISTA USERS. alyssakearns.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/da-fuck.jpg (explicit)
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by dickmedd.

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2658

Apple probably doesn't care if you upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. So might as well let them stay on Vista if it doesn't give Microsoft the extra ~$100.

But seriously, the one thing I haven't found out yet (because I'm still waiting for iOS 5 to download) is if iTunes Match requires iCloud subscriptions. I imagine it does, so I'm not expect it. But it would be nice to help expand my phone's 64 gig limit (shared with movies and apps), since I have a 76.53Gig music library in iTunes. It's almost enough for me to consider getting it, however I know I would just devour my data plan if I ever turned that on with 3G.

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2659

Indeed, I was concerned about my data allowance when it came to iTunes in the cloud. On the subject of paid subscriptions/services, I'd say it's highly unlikely that I'll be taking advantage of anything that isn't free.

Also, I realise what Apple are doing by not offering SL support but I still think it's pretty shitty. Out of interest, what was the situation with .Mac/MobileMe when OS X upgraded before?

EDIT: I've also just noticed that you can't sync iCloud calendars like normal calendars when doing an iTunes sync so the entire feature is useless to me.

LAST WORD: I've moaned far too much about this (and I'm pretty sure no one cares) but I'd say iOS 5 has got some pretty cool features and others which turn out to be pretty frustrating.

Cool examples? Wireless syncing with iTunes (finally) which sort of makes up for the fact I won't be able to use iCloud to keep all of my various bits in sync. Notifications are finally fathomable and non-invasive too, well done Apple.

Frustrating things? The worst so far (besides the Lion requirement for iCloud): Location reminders require the location to be in your contacts. I'd say that's hardly intuitive unless you like having a bunch of train stations, miscellaneous businesses and super markets stored in your address book (and can be bothered to add them). If you could pick a location on a map or do a search it would have been far more useful. Needs fixing soon otherwise I'll probably never use it.

Anyone else using it yet?

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2663

dickmedd wrote:
Also, I realise what Apple are doing by not offering SL support but I still think it's pretty shitty. Out of interest, what was the situation with .Mac/MobileMe when OS X upgraded before?

What is Apple trying to do by not offering Snow Leopard support? Force people to upgrade to the newest and shiniest product? Sorry about that bit, there's a disgruntled G5 and iTools / .Mac / MobileMe user here.

I can't remember what happened when .Mac became MobileMe. It must have been quite smooth and without a hiccup for me to not remember it.

I think I won't be using iCloud. Heck, I don't see a way I could move over to it, unless I purchased an iOS device or new Mac. Also, where's the iDisk equivalent (just remembered Apple Backup uses this)? The webpage equivalent?

dickmedd wrote:
EDIT: Just found out that Vista users will still enjoy these iCloud features. Vista users. WINDOWS VISTA USERS. alyssakearns.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/da-fuck.jpg (explicit)

Would you care to know that Firefox supports Windows 2000, but not PowerPC?

Is the world moving faster than I'd like it to be? Am I just ignorant? I must be getting old to become so grumpy....

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2665

Squirrel wrote:
dickmedd wrote:

What is Apple trying to do by not offering Snow Leopard support? Force people to upgrade to the newest and shiniest product?

That's the impression I got. The problem being that it's not just as simple as upgrading to Lion, it means I have to upgrade (or wait to upgrade) most of the things I use on a regular basis (important things too, for work and education). Why is this such a gripe? Well Logic 8 doesn't work with Lion, I've had that confirmed. I'm looking at £120+ to upgrade that and I don't really need it to do anything more than it already does. Certain PPC applications are probably NEVER going to get updated either, and while I can always plug in my G5, Rosetta is far more convenient.

Squirrel wrote:

I knew PPC had been left behind since trying to upgrade it on my dad's iBook. I didn't know they still supported Windows 2000. My girlfriend kindly reminded me of all of the offices I've been in recently that STILL use older Windows versions though (including Windows 2000).

Squirrel wrote:
Is the world moving faster than I'd like it to be? Am I just ignorant? I must be getting old to become so grumpy....

I'm still a pretty young guy but I already despair when things are superseded faster than I'd care to (or be able) upgrade. I feel your pain.

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2666

dickmedd wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I knew PPC had been left behind since trying to upgrade it on my dad's iBook. I didn't know they still supported Windows 2000. My girlfriend kindly reminded me of all of the offices I've been in recently that STILL use older Windows versions though (including Windows 2000).

www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by MetalDragon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dickmedd

Re: iOS 5 & iCloud 12 years, 5 months ago #2667

MetalDragon wrote:
dickmedd wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

I really should have posted that link in my other post. Been using TenFourFox since version 4. It's awesome.

As for Windows 2000, from my experience I would say 90% of what runs on XP will run on 2000. Last time I tried Firefox on Windows 2000, version 5 was the latest.

Windows 2000 - NT 5.0 kernel
Windows XP (and XP 64-bit 2002) - NT 5.1 kernel
Windows 2003 (and XP Pro x64 & XP 64-bit 2003) - NT 5.2 kernel

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds