Welcome, Guest
Anyone else using Camino?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Anyone else using Camino?

Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2140

I'm sick of firefox bogging down my system, I hate safari and am seeking an alternative. I found Camino and so far so good. Thoughts, questions, who's using it?

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2141

I have never used Camino before but if you want another browser to try out get Google Chrome. I was sincerely impressed how that scrappy little guy works. Its still in beta but most of the functionality is there. Give 'er a go.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2142

I use Camino, and I think I used Chrome for a bit. Two of the major reasons I use Camino is that it lets me yea/nea each cookie I get, and the handling of animated gifs isn't utterly ruined. Under Chrome you are using the WebKit handling (I believe), and some gifs are utterly ruined by that. I liked Chrome's handling of ad blocking, but when I switched back to Camino I installed GlimmerBlocker and I'm all set.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2144

I tend to find Camino just as boggy as Firefox. I'm happy with Safari, though, so I haven't tried it in quite a while.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2145

Caithness what exactly do you find boggy about it? I' running it on a intel and a g5 and so far no problems. What I like is they have two different optimized versions per chip. Perhaps I'm not seeing them or don't have some plugin installed. My wife uses chrome on her account and seems to love it I've played with it a bit but I find Camino to be even more lite weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for lite fast browsers?
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by Pixelcade.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2147

what is so "ruined" about the animated gif handling in WebKit? I didn’t see any problems yet.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2148

Well, perhaps "boggy" is not the right word so much as "sluggish".

Opera used to be quite fast on Mac OS X, but recently it's inexplicably developed rendering delays.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2149

I don't think so much sluggish. I have a version built for intel os10.6 and one for G5 10.5 both scream on my machines I don't use themes or any of that stuff so I'm not seeing anything but speed in launch and browsing. I also use glimmerblocker.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2150

I only use it occasionally (I'm happy with Firefox), but SeaMonkey is very fast whilst also being highly extensible. It's also got built-in support for email, IRC, and web development.

I love OmniWeb, too, but it has fallen behind on web standards, so isn't up to scratch as a primary browser any more.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2151

SO many options thanks everyone!! I did try omni a few months ago I didn't care for it at all something weird about it. I'll have to give this seamonkey a shot you don't have to feed it bits and bytes do you?

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2172

I just found out about a browser called Stainless. Seems impressive, with multi-processing a la Chrome joined by a nifty parallel sessions feature that lets you log into the same site via multiple accounts at once.

Playing around with it, I'd say it's not yet ready for the prime time. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2173

HOLY COW! This thing is fast on my old 1st gen macbook intel. I hope it gets developed more.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2208

Following this discussion, I thought I'd mention that I started using Firefox 4 yesterday (I think Mossy's using it now too) and it's certainly working very well for me. So much faster than what I'd gotten used to with 3.

Re:Anyone else using Camino? 13 years, 1 month ago #2210

hehe, yeah. I guess you saw my tweet.

It's still a memory hog, but Firefox 4 is fast -- I especially noticed better javascript performance. The design tweaks are interesting, too. It seems Mozilla are paying close attention to the design advancements of Safari and Chrome. I think I'll use the tab pinning feature a lot, since I usually roll with more than 50 tabs (of which four or five are web apps in near-constant use).
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by mossy_11. Reason: closed the brackets

Time to create page: 0.17 seconds