Welcome, Guest
What systems do you own and what is your favorite?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: What systems do you own and what is your favorite?

What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #594

Console:
Colecovision
Atari 2600 jr.
NES
Super NES
Sega Genesis Ver 1.0
Sega CD Ver 1.0
Dreamcast
Playstation 1
N64
Gamecube
Wii

Portable:
GameBoy
GameBoy Advance
DS Lite
Game Gear
PSP

My faves have to be:
Colecovision
NES
SNES
DS Lite

I play those more than anything else.

Also have a PC and my Mac's with some older games in my library.

Anyone else here use Gamepedia?
Last Edit: 14 years ago by Pixelcade.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #596

It's funny I was considering starting this thread the other day!

I've regretfully bought, sold and rebought a few over the years as and when I need so unfortunately not everything is as original and well maintained as it could have been. Currently I've got:

NES (Well my mum's NES, it's the first console I ever played and I intend to go and snag it from her attic)

Megadrive 2 (Boxed away and unplayed for far too long)

N64 (Another rebought, technically re-rebought as a friend got me a Pikachu version as a birthday present a while ago which was far too garish to keep out but it's stashed away and a grey one getting regular use)

PS2 Slim (Sold my fat ages ago and and recently rebought the slender version)

Gamecube (Probably my second favourite. The Wavebird was an essential purchase though!)

Dreamcast (Probably my favourite, it's got brilliant homebrew and of course Shenmue!)

GBA (Original, purple see-through, first handheld I got for years after selling my gameboy pocket)

DS Lite (White, with flashcart for homebrewing etc. Really cool and gets bursts of use in between dust gathering unfortunately)

I still don't own any 'current' consoles however have flat mates who do and a girlfriend with a Wii and most consoles filling my gaps (Master System, SNES, Saturn, XBOX plus everything I've got and a Wii) so I get to see most worlds and have played plenty more which I no longer own.

I don't game much on my Mac other than emulation but have got a handful of titles. I don't own a PC anymore but always had fondness for RTS and FPS and still play some on my girlfriend's Steam account.

I'm currently looking forward to owning a Final Fantasy edition Wonderswan Colour which I can't wait to play with!

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #598

Oh yeah man the Wonderswan FF edition was NICE and Square giving them a contract over Nintendo was unreal. To bad the system was an utter failure.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favori 14 years ago #599

NES
TG-16

SNES <-favorite
Genesis

N64<-second favorite
Saturn
PS1

PS2
Gamecube
Xbox

PS3 <-current gen favorite
Xbox 360 <-current gen most played
Wii

Gameboy
Gameboy Advance
Game Gear
iPhone <-most played overall.
DS Lite

I have a feeling I am forgetting a system or 3, but can't think of what I am missing.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #600

Handhelds:
GameBoy
GameBoy Color
DS Lite
iPod Touch
GP2X Wiz

Console:
Dreamcast
PlayStation
PlayStation 2 (+1 as soon as the PS2 slim drops from 159AUD/145USD price in Australia)
PlayStation 3
Wii

Used to own:

SNES (Traded in for PlayStation -- I have mixed feelings about the decision because I loved the SNES, but may never have got a PS1 otherwise)
GameBoy (I had two, but one was traded in for GameBoy Color)

Apparently we've got a Commodore 64 somewhere, but I have no idea if it works.

Favourites would probably be SNES, PS2, Dreamcast, and Wiz, which is a fantastic machine for emulation, especially with its small size and OLED screen. I'd also count the Mac -- especially pre-OS X era -- as a favourite, if it counts.
Last Edit: 14 years ago by mossy_11.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #601

Excellent shout on the Wiz, I forgot to mention that in my post. Definitely one of the best emulation experiences I've had and in a great portable package.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #602

Bandai WonderSwan Crystal
Sega Gamegear
Neo Geo Pocket
iPod Touch (2G)

I'm tempted to get a Wiz because while I like the iPod Touch, ZodTTD's pretty well the only guy making emu's for it, and... no offence, but I don't think he's THAT good. He's talented definitely, but I don't know... I've seen better emulators on other systems. Also he seems to be out there for money (which is fair game) but he's a big dodgy in the naming of his emulators. They'll all be "_____4iphone" which is great, but it totally disrespects the original creators of the emulators. I think he should use the original names when he ports things over...

That said, he's one of the only guy punching out emulators for the iPod Touch, so kudos.

The C64 emu is limited by the lack of games (I'm not sure if I can add games... might try some time.)

And... there's an Amiga emulator coming. I LOVE Amiga! I'm hoping some of my favourite games pop up on the Amiga emu (time will tell.)

The other big one... not emulation-related, but GIANA SISTERS FOR IPHONE!!! The new version. WHAT A RELEASE!!! NOSTALGIA, NOSTALGIA... MORE NOSTALGIA!!! I haven't been able to play the "retro" version yet though because it's pretty difficult to activate (and I simply don't have the time these days.) I e-mailed the support guys and they said they've had a LOT of complaints about that one, so will reduce the difficulty of unlocking it significantly in a near update.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #603

I'm interested that many of you put iPod/Iphone on the list. While I have one I still do not consider it a viable gaming platform for my types of games. I only own 2 though Oregon Trail and Yahtzee. But from what I've seen browsing the store it just seems to me that I can do better on my PSP or DS. Controls play the biggest factor in my gaming experience. If the controls are off I won't play it. Has anyone played one of the games that has the D pad overlaid on the screen on the left and buttons on the right? I've seen this on say Voltron but wondered how responsive can it actually be?

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favori 14 years ago #604

Its not perfect for d-pad type games, but there are some good ones (Assassin's Creed and Hero of Sparta come to mind)

I play mostly casual games on it, but games that are designed for the interface are pretty awesome. Would I want to play Mario on it, probably not. Would I want to play Angry Birds on a PSP, hell no.

Example iPhone games that I own that are fun that couldn't really be done as well (DS could do some of these, PSP, not so much)
Angry Birds
Flight Control
Hook Champ
Rope N Fly
Spider
Squareball
Traffic Rush

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favori 14 years ago #605

Console:
- Atari 2600 (It's broken since 1991, but I still keep it stashed somewhere)
- Sega Master System (I could pretty much say it was my favourite platform, mine still works and I still play on occasion)
- Super Nintendo (Was my console who logged the most hours of gaming, and it's a tough rival to the aforementioned Master System)
- Playstation (Bought it in 1998, at a time I wasn't so interested in console gaming, ended up rediscovering it after trying a handful of Squaresoft games somewhere around 2003)
- Playstation 2 (Got one for the sole purpose of playing GTA: San Andreas and Gran Turismo 4, ended up buying over 40 titles, but it broke in early 2009)
- Nintendo 64 (The least exciting console I ever had. Mario Kart and Mario Party are sweet, though)
- Sega Dreamcast (Got one used for real cheap after the demise of Sega. It's kinda interesting that many of its games were re-released for other consoles and whenever a game was available for both the PS2 and the DC, the DC version was often superior. I think it'd probably top my list if I got my hands on mine before I got the PS2)
- Sega CDX (A product combining a Genesis, a Sega CD and a portable CD player, always dreamed of getting one of those, and only could get my hands on it in 2007. It has the coolest BIOS tune ever)
- Playstation 3 (Unfortunately, haven't been able to enjoy it much because of my work, but I think it's a pretty cool platform, only complaint is that modern games require too much time and have a rather steep learning curve. Oh, and I really hate the fact that my model doesn't have backwards compatibility)

Handheld:
- Game Boy (I honestly didn't like it, to the point I swapped it for a Game Gear)
- Game Gear (Swapped my GB for it with a schoolmate. Got a Master Gear adaptor and could play all my Master System games on it. Got a TV Tuner and could watch TV on the go)
- Game Boy Advance (It was the most interesting handheld I ever played, it was like a portable SNES)

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 14 years ago #631

Oooooookay. *stretches* Here goes:

NES
GameBoy ('89 classic)
SNES
+ Super Gameboy
+ Super Gameboy 2
NES 2 (top-loader)
N64
GBC
GBA
GBASP (NES edition)
GBAMicro (Fami edition)
GameCube
+ GBA player
NDS Lite
Wii

GameAxe (portable famiclone)

MasterSystem
MegaDrive 1
+ Power Base Converter
Genesis 2
GameGear
32X
Nomad
CDX <--- proud of
Saturn
Dreamcast

PC Engine
TurboDuo <--- proud of

PlayStation
PS2

WonderSwan
WS Color
WS Color (FF Edition) <-- proud of

. . .
dangit, I swear I had this thread on the old boards, and I swear I was up to 30 without counting the expansions/adaptors, or my computers...

Right!

NeoGeo Pocket Color!

Alright. I think that's it.

Conceptually, from an engineering standpoint, as pieces of hardware, I have to say my favorites are WonderSwan and PC Engine. So sleek, so compact, and delivering just the right capacity for some really awesome games at a very reasonable price. Saturn is a close third for elegance, technical audacity, and the first-best use of analog input.

My heart will always be with the SNES, Genesis being a close second.

NES has a special place because I just know so much about it.

I would not be surprised if I have logged more hours on my PS2 than anything else, just because of the number of good long RPGs (and PS1 backwards-compatibility).

For any specific favorite games, you're gonna need to narrow the field by genre and era. It's reached the point where I have trouble drawing comparisons. . .
Last Edit: 14 years ago by seanstar.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favori 14 years ago #695

Between my brothers, my parents, and I, we've got an old ColecoVision (actually, an Adam, but whatever) and at least one of the following: an Atari 2600, an NES, a GameBoy, an SNES, an N64, a GameCube (ours is broken, though ), a Wii, a Dreamcast (I think), a PS2, a GameBoy Advance, a GBA SP, a GameBoy micro, a DS, and a DS lite. We've probably got one or two that I'm overlooking right now, particularly from my older brother's collection.

In terms of computers, I've got the above-mentioned Adam, a 68k Macintosh SE (looking for a larger startup disk for it, though), two PCI PowerMacs, a couple G3 Macs (in particular, a B&W Tower, an iMac, and an iBook), the MacBook I use as my primary machine, a second-hand Dell running i386 Debian on a Pentium 4, and an iPod touch. I've also preordered an iPad, but that doesn't count yet.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favori 13 years, 12 months ago #752

Console:

Wii

Handheld:

Gameboy
Gamegear
GBC
GBA/SP
NDS Lite
PSP
iPod Touch

Quite a small list in comparison to the rest of you. My parents never allowed us to have a console growing up, but I eventually got into the handhelds. The old GB has fond memories, but my personal fav has to be the NDS. Quite honestly some of the most fun I've had in a system.

I just recently got the Wii after having moved into my own place. I love it for the versatility, my wife loves Wii Fit.

Since this is also my first post I'll reintroduce myself. I was around before, mostly lurking but occasionally posting. Glad to see you guys coming back.
Last Edit: 13 years, 12 months ago by gameworm. Reason: Introduction

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #787

Here goes nothing...

Console:
PS2
Wii
Xbox 360 (Elite that I just got for Christmas, and I am addicted to it.)
Sega Genesis (2 of them, actually.)
Nintendo 64

Favorite = Xbox 360 at the moment (But I think my Sega Genesis is my favorite all-time console.)

Handheld:
PSP
iPod Touch (If that counts.)
Gameboy Advance SP (My sister gave it to me when she got her Nintendo DS Lite.)*

Favorite = iPod (I listen to music everyday and check Facebook on it.)

Computers:
Mac Mini
Linux Server
OLD Gateway with ME installed on it (That I have stored away in the closet)

Favorite = Mac Mini (For obvious reasons.)

Previously Owned Devices:
iPod Nano (I took it apart after my brother damaged it with water. It's really cool to see its innards.)
Nintendo DS Lite (Traded in to get iPod touch.)
Game Boy Advance SP (Traded in to get Nintendo DS.)*
Gamecube (Traded in after getting a Wii.)

Favorite = iPod Nano (I love music.)

* = I had two. I traded one in, then my sister game me the other one after I got my iPod.

I never realized that I had spent so much of my, and my parents', money on gaming throughout the years.
Last Edit: 13 years, 11 months ago by jack59splat59. Reason: adding Gamecube

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #788

seanstar wrote:

GBASP (NES edition)

I loved those. Sadly, my NES one was the one I traded in. Now, I have a silver one.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #789

I'll just list a bunch of machines that I own, in no particular order. Some have listed previously owned things... I'm not going to, but I'll consider them with regard to my "favourites."
- MacBook Pro (15")
- iMac (21.5")
- iPod Touch 2G (8gb, jailbroken)
- Apple Newton 2100
- AU/Sanyo W43SA (Japanese mobile phone)
- SNK Neo Geo Pocket
- Sega Game Gear
- Bandai スワンクリスタル (WonderSwan Colour Crystal... I hacked it so it has a backlight)
- CPS2 version of Street Fighter II Hyper (my own custom-built cabinet, uses JAMMA for the controls though)
- 1 lowboy cabinet (JAMMA harness + monitor, but no games installed right now.)
- 1 cocktail-style cabinet (same as the lowboy... no game installed.)
- More than 50 PCB's (arcade game boards... not gonna list them all, but some multi-boards, Pac-Land, Frogger, Galaga, bunch of Street Fighter's...etc all retro style games)
- A garage full of dismantled arcade machines/parts (I call it my office)
- A wife and baby who somehow put up with all of my rubbish not sure what kind of system I have going there... but somehow I've convinced them.

Without doubt my 3 most prized possessions are:
- The cocktail cab (I usually put Frogger on it.)
- iPod Touch (in so many ways... wasn't even designed to be a handheld console, but I see no reason for me to own a DS/PSP)
- Neo Geo Pocket... because it has a lot of Neo Geo arcade originals in a portable unit.
*insert: Special mention goes to the Newton for being so ahead of its time! I still used it up until I got my iPod Touch... SERIOUSLY! I wrote large chunks of my master's thesis using it.*

I want:
- A Wiz and/or a Pandora (still not decided yet... I'll feed my family before buying either though.)
- Maybe a netbook to put linux on... once with a touch screen so I don't have to rely on those awkward little mice.
- An iPad.

Best 3 previously owned systems:
- Amiga 2000 (too many good games and memories to list... UAE is my #1 emulator with regard to usage)
- Sega Dreamcast (seriously f&*% you Sony & Microsoft... when Sega when down, so did consoles... I'll never buy another one, except maybe a Wii one day.)
- Everything else... I start crying when I think I might have left one of my babies out.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #790

jetboy wrote:

- Bandai スワンクリスタル (WonderSwan Colour Crystal... I hacked it so it has a backlight)

I seriously need to do that! I still wonder in what lighting conditions the creators made this!

I still really recommend the Wiz by the way. It gets more fun every day

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #792

jetboy wrote:

- CPS2 version of Street Fighter II Hyper (my own custom-built cabinet, uses JAMMA for the controls though)
- More than 50 PCB's (arcade game boards... not gonna list them all, but some multi-boards, Pac-Land, Frogger, Galaga, bunch of Street Fighter's...etc all retro style games)

Is there a certain website you get your arcade stuff from or do you just browse local shops?
I really want to get in to arcade games because they always seemed so cool to me, even when I was little.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #795

Best thing you could do is build a MAME Cabinet. I got most of my parts from HAPP Controls and rigged a custom JAMMA controller. It's built in a Bad Dudes cabinet. I had an old Space Invaders cabinet but I sold it. Just don't have room to store.

Re:What systems do you own and what is your favorite? 13 years, 11 months ago #796

jack59splat59 wrote:
jetboy wrote:

Is there a certain website you get your arcade stuff from or do you just browse local shops?
I really want to get in to arcade games because they always seemed so cool to me, even when I was little.

I've bought mine in Japan/Australia, so I'm probably not that much help. Usually I buy the gear from computer auctions and the like. Ebay's not bad either. http://www.highway.net.au/ Is the site I go to if I'm really desperate for parts and simply can't find them. Aside from the coin mechs, games and JAMMA harness though... most are standard Jaycar parts.

As mentioned, a MAME box isn't a bad idea. Grab an old PC... install AdvanceCD on it and drag the ROMs over. I don't make/sell these due to legal issues surrounding the ROMs. MAME boxes also seem to get fiddled with a lot if I sell them, whereas the actual game boards don't because your average PC nerd knows nothing about them. That said, as a construction project... I can help if you're keen to build one. Below is a picture of the first MAME box I ever made.

For this one, I won the cabinet from an ebay auction; it came as a box + JAMMA harness. Subsequently I bought the coin mechs, controls and a j-pac (a device that lets you hook the controls up to a computer via USB.) I then found a Pentium II PC/Dell monitor at a site I call "the bin" (in Sydney there's a huuuuuge computer fix-it store and they love dumping say 50 old PC's into a big bin.) I bought the tinted glass from a hardware shop, and cut it myself. You'll probably see that I also ripped apart some dodgy old speakers and put them up the top of the machine.

So a MAME box could be good. Just find a good cabinet on ebay or something (local pick-up... you REALLY don't want to pay for postage.) That said, I prefer the real deal... something about it.
Last Edit: 13 years, 11 months ago by jetboy.

Time to create page: 0.27 seconds