Welcome, Guest
Valve coming to the Mac!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Valve coming to the Mac!

Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #582

Haven't found anything about this news on the forums, but as it's awesome news every mac gamer should be excited about:

kotaku.com/5484948/valve-teases-upcoming...cement-not-so-subtly

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #585

And I just got Steam running with my Mac!

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #589

I might have to get Valve for my computer when it comes out for us. Hell, if they release HL1, HL:E3, and Portal 2, I might have to get them for the computer instead of for the 360 (And I've never played the first Half-Life).

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #590

It'll probably run all Steam games when it comes to Mac. My reasoning behind this is that when you use Steam on a Mac now, it plays with Steam and not a seperate window. I can basically run every game available, as long as my computer is powerful enough.

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #591

According to the latest Game Informer, looks like we're getting Portal 2 for the Mac!

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #593

Speaking of Portal, I hear they are good games, but how good are they?

Re: Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #595

It really needs to be played. Just the way it plays around with the laws of physics is awesome. Plus the atmosphere of the game, and the plot...
Last Edit: 14 years ago by IUG.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #597

I hope Valve port their main titles, I'd love to play through HL2 and Portal.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #607

Well it's official now! I hope their purchased games allow for both Windows/Mac policy applies to games already purchased on the current version.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #613

It seems that the Source engine has been ported, so all games running on Source (Half-Life 2, CS:S, Portal, TF2 L4D1&2) will run natively on the mac, without emulation or any other tricks.
Also they announced, that if you bought the windows version, you also own the mac version at the same time.
Now Valve is my new favorite developer, right next to Blizzard.

I'm curious though, if my other games I've purchased over Steam will work too?

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #622

I've not looked into this yet but I do own L4D 1 and 2 does this require a Intel Mac? I don't understand how all this is working.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #623

don't know for sure, but my best guess:
yes, you'll need an intel mac, as this would be the main reason they made it run on macs (same architecture as a pc).

the "steam play" probably works like this: you launch steam on your mac. steam logs into your account and sees that you own a license for L4D (or hl2, or whatever) and if you decide to install the game, steam will download the mac version to your mac.

basically you don't need to buy a game twice, so if you've bought/registered a valve game before over steam, the mac version will automatically be available to you.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #625

And boy will it run like crap on my 1st gen intel Macbook

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #626

Mungo wrote:
It seems that the Source engine has been ported, so all games running on Source (Half-Life 2, CS:S, Portal, TF2 L4D1&2) will run natively on the mac, without emulation or any other tricks.

That's what I meant in my other post.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 14 years ago #629

On a related note, it looks OnLive is headed to Mac as well. This is an upcoming gaming service that does all the processing at a remote location and you play at home.

like www.macworld.com/article/147029/onlive_launch.html

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 13 years, 11 months ago #806

Next question: I heard from a friend the WHOLE PC Steam library will be coming to Mac. I wonder if that means they'll hook e.g. Commander Keen into the Mac DosBox?

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 13 years, 11 months ago #807

I heard it was just going to be the Source Engine that gets ported first. But I haven't been really following it (and I'm not even on a Mac anymore because of a screwed up mother board :-O ).

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 13 years, 11 months ago #808

seanstar wrote:
Next question: I heard from a friend the WHOLE PC Steam library will be coming to Mac. I wonder if that means they'll hook e.g. Commander Keen into the Mac DosBox?

Hopefully... one problem I've been having is that I use Steam with Crossover Games. I've purchased the entire King's Quest series, but many games run inside DosBox. For one reason or another, DosBox is REALLY slow when run through Crossover. They are protected, so I can't just run the games outside Steam (in DosBox.) I'd love to be able to hook them up directly...

It will also be interesting to see games like The Longest Journey (anybody know it?) I'm not actually all that excited about being able to run the latest and greatest games... couldn't care less about Half-Life (or any of the other games created using the HL engine) what I'm hoping is that we can tap into a VERY BIG library of PC games, many of which were simply never made for Mac.

I basically have this with Crossover anyway (needs a bit of tweaking) but a Mac version would even be better (even a Cider version that's pre-tweaked for every game, to save me time.)

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 13 years, 11 months ago #810

jetboy wrote:
[quote]seanstar wrote:
I'm not actually all that excited about being able to run the latest and greatest games... couldn't care less about Half-Life (or any of the other games created using the HL engine) what I'm hoping is that we can tap into a VERY BIG library of PC games, many of which were simply never made for Mac.

This is exactly my point. I want to run some of the older games that I used to play. The good games that I want to play on computer are already supported on Mac.

Re:Valve coming to the Mac! 13 years, 11 months ago #819

seanstar wrote:

don't think that this will happen. the WHOLE library, I mean.

it has been confirmed that the following games will run natively on the mac:
Counter-Strike (presumably Source)
"The Half-Life Series"
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Portal 2 (upcoming)
Team Fortress 2
see here for more details: forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185613

i guess what your friend meant was valves complete catalogue of games, not every single game that is available on steam.

jetboy wrote:
I basically have this with Crossover anyway (needs a bit of tweaking) but a Mac version would even be better (even a Cider version that's pre-tweaked for every game, to save me time.)

that would be lots of work, don't think that valve would do all that. but i imagine, that publishers will be able to offer their games to mac users too, if they decide to tweak them so they may run.

for everything dosbox related, i can only recommend Boxer for mac. it's a really great and easy to use dosbox frontend, check it out here: boxerapp.com/

King's Quest 1-4 are supported by ScummVM, btw. not sure about classic adventures that are steam-encryptet, but there was a long discussion back when lucas arts released their games on steam and if those versions should also be supported by scummvm.

there are also fan remakes von KQ1 and 2, but only for windows i'm afraid. maybe they'll run through crossover, haven't tried that.: www.agdinteractive.com/

Time to create page: 0.22 seconds