Welcome, Guest
Can anybody suggest a 2D adventure game engine?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Can anybody suggest a 2D adventure game engine?

Can anybody suggest a 2D adventure game engine? 4 weeks ago #4334

I'm thinking about developing a game. While I can sorta code, that was many years ago and I've since re-trained. While I'm happy using pseudocode as the logic (or code within a nice, clean framework), I don't wanna spend a lot of time ripping my hair out trying to debug the actual engine itself (or code in incomplete functionailty from scratch).

Questions:
- Can anybody recommend a good engine that they've used? (Considerations include things like portability, simplicity...etc)
- Two minds... should it be a King's Quest style game or an AMOT style game? I like both styles and am hoping the story will be the big feature.
- Which engine is the most portable?

Re: Can anybody suggest a 2D adventure game engine? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #4335

My first epic adventure game I wrote was in HyperCard. Maybe a stack-based descendant would do the job well?

The obvious choice here would be livecode.com (github.com/livecode/livecode) which is open source, has a lineage that goes right back to HyperCard, and deploys on iOS, Android, OS X, WIndows and Linux.

Re: Can anybody suggest a 2D adventure game engine? 3 days, 23 hours ago #4336

_Em wrote:
My first epic adventure game I wrote was in HyperCard. Maybe a stack-based descendant would do the job well?

The obvious choice here would be livecode.com (github.com/livecode/livecode) which is open source, has a lineage that goes right back to HyperCard, and deploys on iOS, Android, OS X, WIndows and Linux.

Very cool... thanks for the suggestion! The $999/year is quite expensive for my needs. However, I will investigate the lead further (can I use it for free without support if I just download the github source?)

Definitely like the hypercard style. Time to explore and experiment

Edit: aaaah cool, they have the community edition, which allows me to make an open source version. Maybe worth me doing this while I learn (and to push out a preview). From there I can decide whether I could at least recoup some of the $999 by releasing it for iOS.
Last Edit: 3 days, 23 hours ago by jetboy.

Time to create page: 0.11 seconds