Welcome, Guest
Sky Dragon Story
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Sky Dragon Story

Sky Dragon Story 10 years ago #3917

One of the (many) reasons I haven't wandered back here in awhile is that what weekends I have free to begin with have been consumed in no small part by a game I'm working on myself. It's a Cave-Story-ish solo venture and I'm about 9 months in, and just completed the first "chapter" (hopefully subsequent chapters requiring less in the way of engine development will go faster, but...). It's all platform-agnostic HTML5 canvas/js, but it's pulling in quite a few of the classic console techniques and sensibilities I've picked up over the years, both in the aesthetic and in how I do the physics and other mechanics. The best genre label I can come up with for it is "Aquaroid." Somewhere in the region bounded by Disney's Little Mermaid (NES), Zelda, Shantae, Metroid, Cave Story, Aquaria, and Terranigma (although there are certainly other influences). A bit of bullet hell also snuck in while I wasn't looking >_>

Because it's web/js, the playable game is implicitly the raw source, so I'm not just opening it up live (Although really, it's actually not so much the source I care about; that will all be creative commons / public-license once the game is complete. Mainly I have some really crunchy ideas for the story itself, and I don't want someone taking the engine and running with it before I've at least gotten my own narrative tied up). However, if anyone wants in on informal closed alpha testing, message me and I'll link you a copy.

Re: Sky Dragon Story 10 years ago #3918

Nice work, man. One of these days I'll get around to following through on one of my full-fledged game dev ideas, rather than just making occasional demos and code sketches. But first I have a book to write (and that'll probably suck up most of my free time for the next year).

Looking forward to playing (and maybe even writing about) the final game; these screens have definitely piqued my curiosity.

Re: Sky Dragon Story 10 years ago #3929

cool- what book? (or is it still under wraps?)

Re: Sky Dragon Story 10 years ago #3931

I'm not talking publicly about it yet (I want to get more of the pieces in place, so that there's something concrete to show when I announce it), but suffice to say it'll be of interest to much of the MacScene old guard (and some of the new).

It's related to some stuff I've written about on this very website.

Re: Sky Dragon Story 10 years ago #3932

Seanstar, I'd be happy to beta test for you, as well as help you lock down your code if you are interested. (obfuscate, callbacks to ensure its running your code on your server, and help protect your assets like images/sounds)

Good luck Mossy

Re: Sky Dragon Story 8 years, 9 months ago #4059

menace: actually not looking to obfuscate or lock this one down. Once it's done, it'll be open to the public to tear apart or repurpose as they want to (although it will likely be so big and original a codebase that someone would need to really make an effort). Which is really the main reason I want to keep the test group small-ish rather than putting the codebase out for the general public who may have more time than I do to finish making it (and thus completely foul up the story I have planned).
And for better or worse, progress has stalled for the past 3 months while I've been freelancing, job-hunting, and thus prioritizing side-projects which exercise skills/domains I want to be doing full-time. A focus in js mainly gets you web development hell making someone else's kludged website work perfectly on 100% of non-standard devices which have ever been built or press-revealed
But I'll see if I have a recent test build somewhere accessible and maybe shoot you a PM.

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds