Welcome, Guest
SNES ROM Mods
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: SNES ROM Mods

SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3567

I just bought my girlfriend a SNES flash cart for her birthday and was wondering if anyone could recommend some ROM mods (compatible with an actual console)?

I'm open to stupid mods, improvements, aesthetic tweaks, whatever!
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by dickmedd.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3568

I'm a huge fan of RPG translation roms, play some of those games that never came to the states!

Also, check this out
www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&platf...e=20&startpage=2

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3569

I really enjoy Parallel Worlds, a fully hacked verson of Zelda; A Link to the Past. A possible downside is that it's very very difficult, but it's a great challenge. I've heard that they're working on a version 2.0 that makes is easier.

sites.google.com/site/zeldaparallelworlds/home

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3570

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3575

That Zelda Parallel Remodel is brilliant, and runs well on the SNES. Going to try the Mario Kart: R mod on later.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

EDIT: Also, I've been making use of this tool, which is OS X compatible despite the summary page.
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by dickmedd.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3576

I'm playing the 1.0 patch version of Parallel Worlds. 1.1 has "fixes" that take enough of the challenge away that I kind of don't want it, and the Remodel basically nerfs it Blizzard Style™ and turns it into the Hello Kitty version of the original hack. I'm finding the 1.0 to be challenging enough that it takes my interest away from pretty much every other game I am currently playing right now.

An example of one of the nerfs that the Remodel puts into effect is changing some of the layouts for dungeons/world areas so that special "tricks" aren't required anymore (like gap jumping via bombing yourself off of your current platform). There were enough changes listed in the Remodel that after playing to where I am in 1.0, I have no desire at all to play a lesser version of it.

About the only change that I find is justified is changing some of the constant dark dungeon rooms to be at least somewhat lit (that is the one repetitive and annoying feature in 1.0/1.1).

I seldom scoff at nerfs when they're justified, but Parallel Worlds was advertised as a killer challenge, and the Remodel just doesn't live up to that claim.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3577

Squishy: I guess that's fair enough, I didn't realise quite what the intention of the original Parallel Worlds mod was. I've never been a huge LTTP fan (mainly because I was a Mega Drive boy, at the time) so a bit of variation on something I'm only vaguely familiar with anyway is just fine for me. If I ever feel the need for an extra challenge, I'll check out the 1.0 version.

Any more hacks/mods? I suppose I'm open to homebrew and other stuff as well, if it's out there.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3578

Did you check out the site I posted. Has complete rewrites of Super Mario World 1 and 2, Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart, and others.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3579

Yes, I've been looking through. I was looking for some specific recommendations

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3580

Most of what I recommend here are simply translations. Get a full list here: www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&am...=A&languageid=12

Has a patch specifically for copiers:
* Bahamut Lagoon (translation)

I would expect to work on a copier:
Chrono Trigger (re-translation)
Dragon Quest 5 (translation)
* Final Fantasy 4 "Hardtype"
* Final Fantasy 5 (translation)
Final Fantasy 6 (re-translation; reminds me to go finish playing it)
Radical Dreamers (translation)
* Rudra no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudra's)
Secret of Mana (reworked dialogue and VWF font)
** Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana sequel; translation)
Super Mario Kart (there are number of track edits)
Super Mario World - Demo World: The Legend Continues (level changes and tons of game engine changes)
Tales of Phantasia (translation)
Treasure Hunter G (translation)

I would not expect to work on a copier:
Star Ocean (translation)
* Yoshi's Island - SMW2+ (level redesign)

I put an asterisk next to my highly ranked recommendations.
PLAY SEIKEN DENSETSU 3 DAMMIT.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3581

Yeah, I wouldn't expect any game using a custom DSP to work on a copier/flash cart, since obviously the hardware is not present (the DSP).

Woosley's translation for FF3/FF6 wasn't exactly bad...wonder why they went to so much trouble to re-translate the entire game?

Super Demo World is ...well, let's just say you'll be re-learning SMW all over again. Amazing how old becomes new when people put out stuff like this.

FF4HT is just plain awesome. But be warned: You will be grinding. A lot.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 5 months ago #3582

Squishy Tia wrote:
Woosley's translation for FF3/FF6 wasn't exactly bad...wonder why they went to so much trouble to re-translate the entire game?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but... aren't you curious to see what the game is like without the Woolseyisms? And bugs? And NOA censoring?

Same for the Chrono Trigger re-translation. Heck, the dialogue editing hack of Secret of Mana made some things in the plot clearer to me, even though I played the original game at least 3 times.

Re: SNES ROM Mods 11 years, 4 months ago #3590

Squirrel wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but... aren't you curious to see what the game is like without the Woolseyisms? And bugs? And NOA censoring?

Same for the Chrono Trigger re-translation. Heck, the dialogue editing hack of Secret of Mana made some things in the plot clearer to me, even though I played the original game at least 3 times.

SoM's original dialogue was a bit vague, and I think I know exactly what plot points you're talking about (specifically regarding Dyluck). I can see somebody rewriting it to clear it up a bit.

CT's dialogue was fairly good and did a great job of conveying emotion. I'm not sure what they could (or would) change that would improve upon that.

As for FF6, what Woolseyisms (at least the prominent ones) were changed? I know the SNES version had a scene that hinted (very) lightly at being anti-abortion, and the newer version (GBA) made the dialogue less...touchy feely, but other than that, I've no clue what really changed, and having played FF6 at least six times completely through, I'm not too keen on playing it again just to find out which lines got changed.

Time to create page: 0.18 seconds