Welcome, Guest
Mac Games on iOS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Mac Games on iOS

Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3309

I wrote this article on Mac|Life that lists 10 classic Mac games you can play on iOS, following a chat with Niemann that stemmed from my discovery of Spaceward Ho! for iPad.

But there are a lot more than 10, so I thought we could list them all here.

So there's the ones in my article:
  • Spaceward Ho! [iPad only]
  • Glider Classic
  • StuntCopter (which has a new feature-complete iPad version)
  • Crystal Quest [iPhone only]
  • Spectre 3D
  • Zone Warrior [iPhone only]
  • Myst [iPhone only]
  • Marathon 1
  • Spin Doctor [iPhone only]
  • Otto Matic

plus:
  • Riven: The Sequel to Myst [iPhone only]
  • The Manhole (unfortunately the remake, not the original) [iPhone only]
  • Prince of Persia (Mac version was ported but has since been removed)
  • Bugdom 2
  • Cro-Mag Rally
  • Nanosaur 2
  • Enigmo 1
  • Enigmo 2
  • SimStapler [iPhone only]
  • Jared [iPhone only]
  • Glypha [iPhone only]
  • Marathon 2: Durandal
  • Yoot Tower (SimTower) [iPad only]
  • AliceX (Alice aka Through the Looking Glass; no longer available)

Any others?
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by mossy_11. Reason: added notes for iPad or iPhone only apps

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3310

Awesome list, I have a few of these already, but didn't know about Spin Doctor. Man, I loved that thing on my old Performa 631CD I'll definitely be buying that to go along with Stuntcopter and Glider Classic (which also has a Mac App Store version too)

As for additions, the only thing that comes to mind are classic games that saw Classic Mac ports, like the Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 games from Telltale games. They are HD-ized, but have the ability to swap back. Also, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, etc. but at that point they aren't so much Mac Games as games we saw on the Mac. I tried Wolfenstein 3D, but it has different music and voices (they may be the PC voices, but not the original Mac German voices I grew up with, then found out weren't the standard voices...)
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Bob Kiwi.

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3311

Dang, just yesterday evening I had the same idea! And I came to that idea as I thought that something as SimTower would be cool on the iPad. Now that I saw that you list Yoot Tower I did a quick search and found...nothing Seems like it isn't available in Germany? Or is it iPad only (I just searched on the iPhone as I don't have the iPad with me right now).

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3312

It's iPad only. It is available in Germany, though, as far as I can tell (it showed up on the German version of the iTunes store when I switched to it).

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3313

Cheers... didn't know that half of those were available on iOS. Just downloading Marathon 2 now!

Does Flashback count as one? I think they've used the Amiga version (maybe?) but Flashback was available for MacOS. I guess things like Broken Sword and Beneath a Steel Sky were also available on MacOS.

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3314

You forgot Jared...

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3315

Of course! How could I forget the infamous Jared? I'll add it to the list.

The App Store reviews are hilarious—everyone who gets the joke or appreciates the ridiculousness calls it brilliant; the rest get angry and rate it 1 star. (I vaguely recall that SimStapler gets even more venom thrown at it; we long-time Mac users still have our inside jokes, it seems.)

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3316

Found Yoot Tower, 6€ though... not sure if I would really play it or just look at it and drool because I know it from my youth.

I didn't find FlashBack though, but Another World (aka. Out of this World)

Prince of Persia, is only available for iPhone and has new graphics?

too bad that PoP, Myst, Riven, Spin Doctor are iPhone only.

@mossy why not split the list for iPhone and iPad

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3317

Oh, I didn't realise that the port of the Mac port of PoP had been removed—it was called Prince of Persia Retro. The "Prince of Persia Classic" app has a separate HD version for iPad.

I'll just add a note by the names for now of apps that are iPad-only or iPhone-only. If I get time later I'll rearrange and split the list.
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by mossy_11. Reason: clarity

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3318

C'mon PangeaSoft, release Weekend Warrior, Nanosaur, and Bugdom on the App Store...

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3319

Is it just me, or is Marathon unplayable thanks to the controls?

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3320

An action game ported to iOS that suffers from bad controls? NEVER.

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3322

I struggled with the touch controls, too (as I mentioned in my article). I think it has some kind of gamepad support—maybe look into that?

Re: Mac Games on iOS 11 years, 11 months ago #3325

mossy_11 wrote:
I struggled with the touch controls, too (as I mentioned in my article). I think it has some kind of gamepad support—maybe look into that?

Other than the mouselook (which does help immensely on a few select levels with very high/low perch points where enemies snipe at you from), gamepad controls work very well for this game. I use such myself since mouse/kb hurts me after a while (I play the desktop Aleph One iteration).

Time to create page: 0.21 seconds