Mari0 now available - BE QUICK!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK!

Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3197

Like Super Mario Bros? Like Portal?

GO GO GO!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jack59splat59

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3198

My only gripes with MariO are that unlike the original where you can use the dpad to turn left or right, you have to use the AimX/AimY joystick/mouse to turn and shoot fireballs, the reverse inertia present in the original isn't quite there (making it impossible to get into those one tile spaces beneath ? blocks properly if resting on the very edge of a pipe), and the AimX and AimY are inverted, making them a bit of a pain to use for easy aiming. An inversion control would be nice. I suppose I can suggest this to them.

On the plus side, it does recognize HID input "out of the box", including my PSX Dual Shock controller's buttons and analog axes.

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3200

This game is so much fun. The controls seem to be pretty sensitive, but other than that it's excellent.

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3201

The controls are mostly "there". The only thing that really isn't there is the reverse inertia move ability. That is, you're moving forward and upon pressing jump, immediately hold the opposite direction to move backwards onto a platform without changing your facing direction. MariO gets the facing direction part right, but there's not enough reverse motion to complete the maneuver like you could in the original NES/Vs. versions, and this breaks certain tricks and getting into those one square spaces that are on top of right angle pipe joints.

Other than that, I agree, this is a sick rendition of Mario and something Nintendo could very well learn from when it comes to rehashing older stuff to make it "fun" again.

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3207

The controls... my brain... ow... wasd/lshift/space is not a Mario control scheme, neither is point-and-click >.<
But the concept is brilliant, and with a suitable controller, it could be great

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3210

The controls are like... *gasp* ... Dark Castle!

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 12 years, 1 month ago #3211

seanstar wrote:
The controls... my brain... ow... wasd/lshift/space is not a Mario control scheme, neither is point-and-click >.<
But the concept is brilliant, and with a suitable controller, it could be great

You can customize the controls to any USB controller you have connected. As noted in my first post my playstation 2's dual shock controller is being used. My real gripe is that you cannot change direction (facing) without using the analog axes (joysticks) to change the "aiming device". Fix that and you likely also fix the inability to do those reverse inertia moves.

Re: Mari0 now available - BE QUICK! 11 years, 7 months ago #3483

oh my god, they actually made a mac version? i love these guys!

Time to create page: 0.15 seconds