Welcome, Guest
Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions

Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2639

Okay, stick with me on this one as it sounds a bit odd but I think it must exist already.

Is there a Wiki/Forum/Site anywhere that collects descriptions of different game difficulties? For example, the difference between 'easy' and 'hard' on some games is related to the enemy AI, on others it can apply to how much ammo you find (think Resident Evil) or even the amount of enemies you encounter and their resilience.

I've recently felt that I really want to be put up against the toughest enemies a game can offer, just because anything less doesn't seem worth it (for the record, I NEVER play games on 'easy') however sometimes a 'hard' mode that applies to more than just AI can make a game less enjoyable. As a result, I usually go for 'normal' on everything and then step it up when I'm replaying. Other times, I go on recommendation from friends if they've played through it or with franchises I'm familiar with (Metal Gear etc.) I sort of know what to expect.

Is this something other people think about or is it just me? If I'm alone in this just tell me and I'll get on with my life.
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by dickmedd.

Re: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2640

Just had a thought about this. Something that could be included with Archive?

Re: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2641

I think that is a personal question that is hard to define a standard marker for.

I mean, I have watched modern day kids who can go into beast mode while playing FPS then absolutely, and hilariously fail at the first level of Contra on the NES.

I suppose, for a wiki or databse to be setup (Archive could do it), this would need to a generalised crowd-sourced score in the same way a movie rating on IMDB works. I might rate a game 3.5 outta 5 but some might find it and rate it as being more difficult... so the law of averages would find the best score after thousands of votes.

Re: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2642

I think I might not have explained what I mean properly. I wasn't referring to how difficult each player finds a game, rather a description of what in-game parameters change between each difficulty mode. Some games tell you, others don't. With some you can tell, some you can't. If I could look that up prior to starting a game I could make an informed decision about which difficulty I should pick based on the kind of experience I'm looking for.

EDIT: For example, the Hitman series' difficulty levels:

Easy: unlimited saves, weak enemy AI, all elements appear on map
Normal: 7 saves, better enemy AI, all elements appear on map
Hard: 3 saves, stronger enemy AI, enemies don't appear on map

These aren't accurate by the way but that's roughly how it scales. Different games have different parameter shifts so it might be handy to detail how each game does it. Like I said, I care but others might not. Just curious to hear what thoughts are on the matter!
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by dickmedd.

Re: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2643

Ah right, well I guess some parameters are known between different difficulty modes / options in the game. Number of lives and saves allowed is the easiest.

Re: Specific Game Difficulty Descriptions 12 years, 5 months ago #2644

Okay, so is it the sort of thing that could be included on Archive or would it be too trivial? Granted, the information can usually be found with a bit of Googling but having it all in one place would be more convenient.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds