Welcome, Guest
3DS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 3DS

3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2484

I thought I'd ask:

a) Has anyone got a 3DS?

b) Does anyone like the 3DS?

c) Is anyone planning to get a 3DS following the price cut?

I'm a little tempted now that they're much cheaper. I was planning to hold out until a 3DS Lite eventually showed up (based on the popularity and evolution of the original) but something tells me it might not get to that stage. I've heard the battery life's pitiful and that the 3D effect gives a lot of people headaches but that's only based on a couple of things I've read.

Games-wise there isn't that much I'm excited about apart from the remakes of OoT, Star Fox and Metal Gear Solid 3, although I'm quite keen to see what the Resident Evil title is like.

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2485

I'm interested in hearing people's comments as well. I'm really interested in the remakes, but haven't had a chance to try them out (GameStop only has fighting games on demo).

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2486

a) I don't have one.

b) I'm reserving judgement until I get a chance to try one. I have doubts about 3D visuals, though (in general - not just in the case of the 3DS).

c) Nope. It's ridiculous that in Australia it's actually cheaper (after shipping) to import a 3DS from the US. Even if that weren't the case, I still wouldn't have any intention of getting one in the foreseeable future. I have way too many games on my backlog to justify another hardware purchase. A new full release/retail Picross game might tempt me, though, since Picross 3D and Mario's Picross are two of my all-time favourite games.

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2487

a) No
b) Not sure yet
c) No, not until there are any interesting games available.
Currently, I'm only interested in the remake of Ocarina, but i've played that when it came out on the N64 and then again when it was on the Bonus Disc packaged with The Wind Waker.
Super Mario 3D Land looks like it's gonna be fun, but apart from that... I'm gonna wait until there's more stuff coming out.
It was the same with the DS: it wasn't until the Lite was for out a couple of months until I was interested in getting one and I've never regretted it.

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2492

Interesting views so far. I think I may well end up getting one further down the line but I'm still not convinced by the technology. I'm feeling pretty much the same regarding the Wii U...eek Nintendo.

Mungo wrote:
I'm only interested in the remake of Ocarina, but i've played that when it came out on the N64 and then again when it was on the Bonus Disc packaged with The Wind Waker.

Ha! I think the next poll should be: 'How many different copies of OoT do you own?' I've got the original, the bonus disc with WW, PAL and NTSC versions of the Collector's Edition (NTSC for my Panasonic Q) and I can't remember if my girlfriend got it on Virtual Console too. One more version can't hurt can it?
Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by dickmedd.

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2499

I'm assuming by "versions of the Collector's Edition" you mean the GC promo disc with OOT, Majora's Mask, and Zelda 1/2 on it?

Re:3DS 12 years, 7 months ago #2502

I do yes, sorry for not being specific. My main reason for getting hold of that was actually for Majora's Mask rather than Ocarina as I never had a copy of that for N64 (as I will explain in my next RGOTW article).

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2537

a) No
b) I think it sucks.
c) No

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2540

jack59splat59 wrote:
b) I think it sucks.

Would you care to elaborate? Is the the 3D, controls, games? All of the above?

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2542

a) Yes
b) Yes - though it does take some time getting use to it, but its a clever piece of kit.
c) Slightly annoying as I bought it on launch day, but hey that's the risk you take. Nintendo have a habit of cutting the price, abet not so soon after launch. But they are giving us free games to download as compensation, so not all bad. And Zelda is worth the asking price, and new new Mario game looks ace!!

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2557

I think I'll definitely end up owning one and I do agree with a lot of what's been said here. 3D's still not at the top of my list though and I feel a bit like Nintendo are flailing a bit now, I mean just look at this monstrosity. (Pictured below)

EDIT: God I just can't stop looking at it. It really is hideous.
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by dickmedd.

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2558

dickmedd wrote:
jack59splat59 wrote:
b) I think it sucks.

Would you care to elaborate? Is the the 3D, controls, games? All of the above?

All of the above.

3D - Seems to only work when you sit there moving your head to get it at the perfect angle to view the 3D properly.

Controls - Feel a little awkward.

Games - Not enough that interests me.

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2559

dickmedd wrote:
I think I'll definitely end up owning one and I do agree with a lot of what's been said here. 3D's still not at the top of my list though and I feel a bit like Nintendo are flailing a bit now, I mean just look at this monstrosity. (Pictured below)

EDIT: God I just can't stop looking at it. It really is hideous.

I assume that "monstrosity" is for people that prefer right handed joystick/pad playstyle? I'd hardly call it a monstrosity. A monstrosity is the iTouch for cell phones (yet I'd get one if I could use it with my Epic 4G).

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2560

From what I've heard it's intended for dual stick use, only compatible with a few games at the moment. IMO if they wanted two sticks they should have just put two on it in the first place instead of destroying the form factor what is otherwise a compact device (this is a handheld in 2011 not 1991).

It's an ugly-looking accessory that looks to be cumbersome if you want to get anywhere near the ABXY buttons and to top it all off it runs on a AAA battery. Others might not agree but I think this looks like it was knocked together in half an hour on a Friday afternoon.
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by dickmedd.

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2567

Eww...AAA battery. What, they couldn't find another way to power it? Lame.

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2568

FOR SHAME.

I'll stop complaining now.

Re:3DS 12 years, 6 months ago #2571

One thing that I think Nintendo has almost always sucked at is it's product design. They do some cheap looking tricks this decade in particular and seeing the 3DS and WiiU designs it doesn't look like they are looking to change.

The 3DS is suffering not only because people find it hard to differentiate what makes it better than its predecessor in terms of features and games but the fact they cheaped out and just re-used the DS form factor. I face palmed the day the thing was announced for that very reason. Their games are starting to follow the same method as well.

Now, they need to get more serious with their games, are courting more 3rd party people (off the back of the WiiU?) and I am sure many are saying the product design of the 3DS isn't cutting it (for FPS shooters etc), developers want to port a game from the Vita to the 3DS and vice-versa with ease. They need two analogue sticks to make their games work... oh crepe. So we get this thing stuck on the 3DS like some gnarly looking cast hoping the bone heals.

Now, give it 6 months and the 3DS will be completely redesigned. Yet I don't hold much hope for it.

Nintendo really need a japanese Jonny Ive and some new IP wouldn't be a bad thing as much as I love Mario and Zelda.

Time to create page: 0.20 seconds