Welcome, Guest
Civ 2 for OS10
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Civ 2 for OS10

Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1616

Apologies - this is an old question, I guess. Don't like the later versions but it seems it is impossible to play Civ 2 on intel macs unless you get an old Windows emulator. Is that really correct, please? Is there no simpler workaround? (And when is some clever person going to come up with a Civ 2 app for the ipad/iphone?). I'm running OS 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro.
Thanks - Charles

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1618

There's actually an OS X port, done in 2004 by one of the programmers. It was on his iDisk, and went unnoticed by many people. I forgot the who/why etc, I'd love to get more info.

Port still works under the latest Mac OS on Intel machines, everything except music and some graphical issues (no live updating of attacks, only at the end)

Civ II is my favorite as well! There's also an OS X port of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri as well.

Pro-tip for Civ II under OS X - Make sure to set auto-save on each turn, cause it will crash every few hours.

www.megaupload.com/?d=DCHVZZ6Z - The OS X app, just place in your folder with a full install of Civ II.
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by Bob Kiwi.

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1619

This has the potential to ruin my life. I was totally addicted to Civ 2 back in the day -- spent the whole summer playing it one year.

Anyone else looking forward to Civ V? (Which comes out in a little over a week.) It looks like they finally fixed the combat and end-game tedium.

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1621

Thanks, Bob. I'll give it a try.

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1622

Hi Bob - I downloaded the app (Civ II Gold Rel PPC) from megaupload put it in my app folder, where Civilisation 2 is already installed from years back. Tried to open the new app but got the following dialogue box: Civilization II could not find the "Civilization II Files" folder. Please make sure it is located in the same folder as the Civilization II application and then run the game again.

Checked and the "Civ II files" all seem to be there. Tried to reinstall from my original Civ 2 CD but the install icon has a barred sign across it and won't work.

Frustrating! I'm no computer expert but any thoughts as to where this is going wrong would be very welcome.

Many thanks
Charles

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1623

Drag and drop the "Civilization II Files" folder from your CD to the same directory in which you put the "Civ II Gold Rel PPC" application. It should work then (it did for me).

Re:Civ 2 for OS10 13 years, 7 months ago #1633

I remember being able to use PC saved games on the Mac and vice versa, but can't remember how!!

Can anyone help

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds