Welcome, Guest
Translation Patches
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Translation Patches

Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #944

Back in the days of SNES being the hottest retro stuff, there was quite a big translation scene which would translate all those great games which were released only in Japan.
I wonder if there is still an active translation scene, translation snes games and newer stuff like ps1+2, dreamcast etc. games. I googled around a bit and found some postings from 2008 but it looked like they never finished anything.
Hopefully my searching was just bad. :/

Re:Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #945

I don't know about the translating scene, but I get my news from http://romhacking.net/.

Here's a list of translations done, sorted by date:
www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&am...dir=1&order=Date

Re:Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #957

Someone did a semi-translation of Shenmue II for Dreamcast, as there was only ever English text with Japanese dialogue on that version. As the later XBOX version had dialgoue, this eventually appearedShenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast.

I've never tried it, partly because the audio is so downsampled it's supposed to sound appalling, partly because I really can't stand the English dubbing of Shenmue unless it's for a brief laugh.

On the matter of translations and language, in the past I've been in many situations where I've gotten by but wished I could read just a little Japanese. On the Gamecube I've got the Japanese versions of Resident Evil (which had English dialogue but Japanese text) and Phantasy Star Online 1+2 Plus (which you can select English for...when you eventually find the options menu!).

At the other end of the scale are things like Final Fantasy for WSC or any of the Metal Gear games, all a nightmare with no English.

Re:Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #959

I don't know how much active stuff is still going on, but I still see titles on AGTP that I never knew existed. At some point though, you'd expect translations to peter out just by virtue of the source material being a fixed quantity

Re:Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #967

Thanks squirrel that site looks cool.

@seanstar what is AGTP?

Re:Translation Patches 13 years, 10 months ago #972

Aeon Genesis Translation Projects
http://agtp.romhack.net/
Last Edit: 13 years, 10 months ago by Squirrel.

Time to create page: 0.12 seconds