Welcome, Guest
Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator)

Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #506

Mupen64Plus is a Nintendo64 emulator for OS X, Linux, and Windows that's under active development. It's newest version (1.9.9.3) was released last week, and although it doesn't have a GUI (graphical user interface), it's a great emulator. Check out the Mupen64Plus Google Code page for more information on Mupen64Plus.
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by ConsoleEmu.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #507

For everyone who wants to use Mupen64Plus 1.9.9.3 but doesn't know a whole lot about using the command line, I've thrown together a drag-and-drop game launcher so you can use the latest version of Mupen64Plus without typing a single line of code. Once you get is set up, all you have to do is drag a rom file onto the launcher--and that's it! Check out the SpeedofMac Mupen64Plus page to see how to install Mupen64Plus 1.9.9.3 and get the game launcher up and running.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #508

Thank you so much Speed! I've been looking for a N64 emulator that will actually run. Will this one run on a G5? I don't want to resort to my Macbook for emulation the screen just is way to small.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #509

Pixelcade wrote:
Thank you so much Speed! I've been looking for a N64 emulator that will actually run. Will this one run on a G5? I don't want to resort to my Macbook for emulation the screen just is way to small.

I believe that Mupen64Plus is Intel-only (see this page). It looks pretty good on my 13" screen, though!

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #512

Right on! I'll have to give it a shot later on using your tips page. Do you run fullscreen?

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #520

Pixelcade wrote:
Right on! I'll have to give it a shot later on using your tips page. Do you run fullscreen?

I hadn't even thought of that. I just messed around with the "Glide64.ini" file (in "Mupen64Plus/Contents/Resources"), and in the "Game specific settings" section (about 20% of the way down the file) changing "scale_x" and "scale_y" will increase the game's resolution, but it doesn't increase the window size. I'll ask around and see if I can come up with anything. If you think of something before I do, let us know!

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #530

I tried to install this the way the setup guide said. I can't get it to run. None of my games launch.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #531

iBatman wrote:
I tried to install this the way the setup guide said. I can't get it to run. None of my games launch.

Can you copy and paste the terminal printout so I can see what's happening?

To see if it's a problem with the installation, open "Terminal" and paste the following lines:

cd /Applications/Mupen64Plus

Press "Return"

./run_glide.sh example.v64

Press "Return"

Your terminal window should look something like the following, and a window with "mupen64plus" moving around should appear:
mupen64plus_terminal.png

mupen64plus_bios.png

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #533

iBatman wrote:

I think I've solved the problem (with some help from a blog visitor named Nick). There was an issue with Automator's "Watch Me Do" function once the launcher was on another computer. I've replaced all of that with AppleScript, so the launcher should be working properly again. You can download it from my Launching Games page.

Let me know if that works. If it isn't working properly, let me know and I'll fix it again.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #535

All fixed. How good is the compatibility for everyone?

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #536

I'm glad to hear that the launcher's working. Thanks for letting me know!

Compatibility's quite good. I haven't been able to find a good setup for Mario Golf, though. Games like GoldenEye 007 and Super Mario 64 work without a hitch, I believe.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #545

I can't seem to follow the guide... GTK+ download leads me to www.gtk-osx.org/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Although the above stands true, downloading the release from the Mupen website seems to have worked just fine. Your fixed launcher doesnt work at all... (to be fair, for some reason I also can't run any of the sh files directly). I can manually start the program though with the roms...
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by menace690.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #547

It ran once straight away and ran Majoras Mask effortlessly, best I've seen it run. Theni I think Pressed "/" and it froze, quit, tried to run it again and I just get the error

arning: unrecognized command-line parameter '/Users/JustJosh/Downloads/Mupen64Plus'
Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'Game'
Error: couldn't open ROM file 'Launcher.app' for reading.

Don't know why.

Also your filename de-spacer is linking me to Mupen64. got it working now

Lastly, I was just wondering how to configure hi res textures and if you would also be making an automator that as well?

How long til the configure page is up?

lol, loads of questions, great work btw, also used your guide to setup PCSX. Now I'm trying to get PCSX2 and dolphin working

Edit: Now I'm getting the error

Error: couldn't open ROM file 'Mupen64Plus' for reading.

Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail, so close but so far

Edit 2: Ran the example, but now thats all that runs, if I put any other game in the launcher, the example opens, I changed the name of MM to example.v64 and it runs, but every game now opens MM.
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by Jabba.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #549

menace690 wrote:
I can't seem to follow the guide... GTK+ download leads me to www.gtk-osx.org/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Although the above stands true, downloading the release from the Mupen website seems to have worked just fine. Your fixed launcher doesnt work at all... (to be fair, for some reason I also can't run any of the sh files directly). I can manually start the program though with the roms...

Which version of Mupen64Plus are you running? GTK+ is needed for version 1.5 because the main window relies on it. I checked the GTK+ website, and it seems as though it's down for the time being.

GTK+ isn't needed for the newest version of Mupen64Plus (1.9.9.3), so you could try using that instead. The game launcher I put together is only for Mupen64Plus 1.9.9.3 because double-clicking roms doesn't work with that version. I'll make it clearer on the download page that the game launcher is only for 1.9.9.3. Also, the .sh files won't run unless they're opened with a rom in the command line, which is what the launcher is supposed to do, but it's fussy sometimes.

Does that help at all?

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #550

Josh wrote:
It ran once straight away and ran Majoras Mask effortlessly, best I've seen it run. Theni I think Pressed "/" and it froze, quit, tried to run it again and I just get the error

arning: unrecognized command-line parameter '/Users/JustJosh/Downloads/Mupen64Plus'
Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'Game'
Error: couldn't open ROM file 'Launcher.app' for reading.

Don't know why.

Also your filename de-spacer is linking me to Mupen64. got it working now

Lastly, I was just wondering how to configure hi res textures and if you would also be making an automator that as well?

How long til the configure page is up?

lol, loads of questions, great work btw, also used your guide to setup PCSX. Now I'm trying to get PCSX2 and dolphin working

Edit: Now I'm getting the error

Error: couldn't open ROM file 'Mupen64Plus' for reading.

Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail, so close but so far

Edit 2: Ran the example, but now thats all that runs, if I put any other game in the launcher, the example opens, I changed the name of MM to example.v64 and it runs, but every game now opens MM.

I think the problems you're having with the launcher is that the rom file you're trying to run isn't in the frontmost window in the Finder. The game launcher copies the selected file in the frontmost window of the finder (if you drag a file onto the dock, the file is usually in the frontmost finder window--it's a bit of a sloppy way of doing things, I know, but it works well once you get the hang of it).

If you move the launcher to your dock and keep your rom folder window in the very front of the Finder, does it work any better? The error message you were getting is because the game launcher was trying to open itself.

I'm glad the PCSX stuff was useful for you! I'm working on the configuration stuff for Mupen64Plus, but I doubt that I'll get anything up before the middle of next week. I haven't worked with hi-res textures yet, but if you open "~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg" you can change the default game window resolution to something like 1024x768, which will make it bigger but not better-looking. I have an automator script that will do this for you (you choose resolutions), but it's too big to post on this forum. I'll let you know when I've uploaded it somewhere, though.

Good luck with Dolphin and PCSX2! Here's a screenshot from PCSX2 to give you a bit of motivation:
pcsx2_ffx_screenshot.png

Let me know if you're still having trouble with anything.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #553

Yeh, the front most window doesn't make a difference, it still opens whatever is named example.v64

The picture depresses me, lol. Wheb I run from an iso, nothing happens, just black screen. When I run from a disc I get the error. error loading path.iso. Hurting my soul! lol. Dolphin I just get garbled graphics.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #554

Jabba wrote:
Yeh, the front most window doesn't make a difference, it still opens whatever is named example.v64

The picture depresses me, lol. Wheb I run from an iso, nothing happens, just black screen. When I run from a disc I get the error. error loading path.iso. Hurting my soul! lol. Dolphin I just get garbled graphics.

It's strange that the launcher keeps opening up example.v64 because it doesn't have "example.v64" anywhere in the script. All it does is change directory to the Mupen64Plus folder, copy the selected file in the frontmost window to get its path, write some code in the Terminal, and paste the path to the file you selected.

I'm not sure why it would keep opening the example.v64 file unless that file is still in your clipboard and new files aren't been copied to the clipboard to replace it. Could you do the following test?

1. Go to the Finder and select a rom file that isn't named "example.v64"
  2. Copy it (Command+C)
  3. Click the background of a window to make sure that absolutely no files are selected
  4. Click on the launcher in the dock

The launcher will still try to open the selected rom file in the frontmost window, but because nothing in the frontmost window is selected, it will just open the file that's in the clipboard.

Does that work for you?

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #555

Pixelcade wrote:

I'm able to get it running at 1024x768 resolution, which fills up all of my screen except for a bit on the sides. It is possible to run fullscreen, too. Type this into the terminal and press Return

open -a TextEdit ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg

Scroll down until you see "[Video-General]", then you can change the default resolution and whether you want to run fullscreen or windowed.

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #557

Mupen64Plus runs fine from command line. Its the sh scripts and your launcher that do nothing..

Re:Mupen64Plus (N64 Emulator) 14 years, 1 month ago #561

Someone feel like pulling out Platypus and whipping up a quick launcher? I'd do it, but I have negative time.

It should even be possible to write up a Platypus app that checks to see if Mupen64Plus is installed, and downloads, compiles and installs it if it isn't -- then switches to a "play .z64 and .n64 files if things are set up" mode afterwards.

Time to create page: 0.25 seconds