Welcome, Guest
OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection

OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 8 months ago #4338

Yewwomeowrs

After having to move my Shantae save from KiGB to OpenEmu due to KiGB randomly hardlocking in Sierra (it looks like 10.12 is the beginning of the end for Richard Bannister's emulators as they all randomly crash on exit and KiGB randomly hardlocks requiring CMD-OPT-ESC to get out of), I've noticed that I cannot open the game with the GBA core. Obviously this locks out the Tinkerbat transformation as an option, which I'd like to gain access to.

Does anyone know of a way to allow opening of GBC games via the GBA core or forcing a GBA mode from the Gambatte core in OpenEmu? Or is OpenEmu just too nascent to have that feature yet?

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 8 months ago #4339

Well libretro can do that... not sure if openemu supports the option.

Option is gambatte_gb_hwmode

wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Gambatte

Might need to use Secret mode:
github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/wiki/User-gui...Preferences:-Secrets

or might need to change the Info.plist
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by menace690.

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 5 months ago #4351

How would you set secret mode in the plist? I ask, because the konami code isn't working for me at the prefs screen (any of the tabs).

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 5 months ago #4352

I did it in the main window and it jsut worked. Got the Zelda found something noise and a new secrets button came up. That being said, I dont see the ability to change the options for cores.

In addition, it looks like openemu uses mGBA for GBA emulation, which does not support GBC emulation....

Maybe try Retroarch?

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 4 months ago #4356

Squishy Tia wrote:
it looks like 10.12 is the beginning of the end for Richard Bannister's emulators as they all randomly crash on exit

For what it's worth, I've not been able to replicate this. My stuff is working just fine on 10.13 on my MacBook Pro.

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 2 months ago #4364

Attachment C:\fakepath\BA Crash on Exit.txt not found

I'll have to take a look at the crash report again to see what might be the culprit here. But it's managed to happen in every one of your emulators that I've used. It's a crash that literally happens at the tail end of the exit process, as file writes (SRAM, etc) are performed properly even with the crash.

Edit: Here's the crash. All I did with that session was open the app, dismiss both the recently played and Open windows, and then look at the preferences (CMD-,) while typing my response to one of your other threads. If you find something in the attached file that points to something I can potentially change on my side, I'll gladly take the time to do so and see if it eliminates the crash on exit. This only started happening with 10.12.x and was fine up until 10.11.6 (I skipped Yoshitme because it was just a horrible version of the OS and buggy beyond words, especially with regard to Apple pulling mDNSResponder out and replacing it with discoveryD until users vociferously complained about its instability).

Edit 2: Looks like Macscene's attachment functionality is broken, at least with OS X, as you can see by the first line in this post. So here's a pastebin of the crash.
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Squishy Tia.

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 1 month ago #4376

Thanks for that. If there is another release, you can expect it'll be fixed.

Re: OpenEmu and GBA mode for GBC/GBA detection 6 years, 1 month ago #4378

Richard Bannister wrote:
Thanks for that. If there is another release, you can expect it'll be fixed.

Thanks. No big rush though. For now it only seems to affect the closing of the app itself. The preferences do get updated and savefiles and whatnot (SRAM) are saved properly it seems, though out of prudence I do keep backups of important and/or ongoing game saves for good measure.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds