Welcome, Guest
MAME on Modern Macs Blog
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: MAME on Modern Macs Blog

MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4173

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this as I hope it'll help me someday get MAME running to its full potential again on my Mac(s). It might be of help to some of you here too:

mameonmacs.blogspot.com.au

I still wish it was as easy as it used to be in the MacMAME and MAME OS X days though. Full support for MAME (and the systems previously emulated in MESS) in OpenEmulator would truely be a godsend and genuinely provide emulation 'for the rest of us'.

- Alex

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4174

Try openemu experimental? It has MAME support (not perfect, but it may work for you depending on the game/rom)

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4175

Yeah I loved MacMame..it had it all, even CHEATS. As for QMC2, every time I have installed that thing, the folder would always have a lil red circle with a lil minus side saying I can't open it. It happened on my last iMac, then today with this one.
Last Edit: 8 years ago by Thundar. Reason: because I can

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4176

Sounds like you need to change permissions on the folder.

Right click the folder
Get Info
Click the bottom right lock icon to unlock
Give your user read/write under privilege

MAME 172 better built in GUI 8 years ago #4177

I've never cared for QMC2 myself, just too many options and not a simple OS X feel like MacMAME or Mame OS X.

Although not the same OS X feel, the MAME 172 built in GUI is much improved and provides various snapshot options and categorized listing which I find works well enough and easy enough for the kids.

Edit: Was suppose to be reply to macscene.net/component/kunena/75-emulati...n-macs-blog?Itemid=0
Fixed. -mossy_11
Last Edit: 7 years, 12 months ago by mossy_11. Reason: moved from accidental new thread

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4179

it says it's incompatible with my version of Mac Os, & I have the latest version to. Here is the error report:

Date/Time: 2016-04-10 20:03:48.909 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.3 (15D21)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 19339678-3F2D-4B0A-8197-E3ECAB2AEDF0

Sleep/Wake UUID: E44770F1-7817-40E5-ACF6-8F8F7C5C9F1D

Time Awake Since Boot: 130000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 16000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
Referenced from: /Applications/qmc2/qmc2-arcade.app/Contents/MacOS/qmc2-arcade
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x7fff6cb75000 - 0x7fff6cbac007 dyld (360.19) <9D05FDF4-65CE-3B53-86D4-ABE1A5BF35F3> /usr/lib/dyld

Before I clicked on Report, here is what it says: Check with the developer to make sure qmc2-sdlmame works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I have SDL2 in my Mac (I use it all the time on the PPSSPP emulator for Mac)

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4180

Definitely an SDL2 error.

From a different programs same error:
3) Down load SDL 1.2.15.dmg (Intel 10.5+) or if you are an older version (Intel 10.4+) www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
and also SDL2 2.0.3.dmg (Intel 10.5+) www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php reason being I downloaded them both and not sure which one it uses but it works so just download them both.
4) (this is the step that took me forever to figure out.) The SDLs go in the Library on your finder. If you can't find your library I am about to tell you how. You first go to finder, second you mash command+shift+g and it will take you to a box you can type in, so third you type this ~/Library
guess what you are now in your Library (for future ease do what this kid tells you at the end to do
it makes it easier to reach in the future.)
5) Now that you are at your library you will have to create a new folder and you must name it Frameworks if not the program won't find it.
6) Move both SDLs into the new folder (all you need is the lego looking object.)

forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14010.0
Last Edit: 8 years ago by menace690.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4181

I ty for your instructions, it's workin'.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4182

Always happy to help.

I appreciate the followup. I always hate when a thread ends and you don't know if that actually fixed the problem or not.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4183

Erockus Arcade is pretty easy to use. Doesn't have everything but fits my needs for MAME.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4184

Wow!

How have I or anyone else here not heard of this (Erockus Arcade). I'll be trying it out soon.

Of course, I'm aware that the dev version of OpenEmu supports MAME, but it'd be nice to see something dedicated, and not in development.

Also, I'm keen that something will support the MESS side of MAME - that to me would be truely worthwhile to implement in OpenEmu.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4185

No clue, never heard of it either.

Link for the lazy

erockus.elementfx.com/arcade.html

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4186

I'm pretty pleased with Erockus Arcade.

I got setup with MAME in about 3 minutes with the ROMs that I have.

QMC2 left me feel like I wouldn't have any time on a weekend to play with MAME, just set it up.

Erockus isn't perfect, but it's more how I think it should be. It's got a fun UI, although it'd be nice if it followed Apple's GUI guidelines for more practicality, e.g. if I want to quickly jump to 'Scramble', typing 'SC' would probably take the selection straight to it, but in Erockus, it only remembers the last key you pressed, so it'll only take you to 'C' in this instance.

But damn. You all have too much time on your hands if you use QMC2.

- Alex

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 8 years ago #4187

Erockus Arcade is relatively new.

Its also tracked on MacUpdate

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52991/erockus-arcade

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 12 months ago #4196

HelixNRG wrote:
I'm pretty pleased with Erockus Arcade.

I got setup with MAME in about 3 minutes with the ROMs that I have.

QMC2 left me feel like I wouldn't have any time on a weekend to play with MAME, just set it up.

Erockus isn't perfect, but it's more how I think it should be. It's got a fun UI, although it'd be nice if it followed Apple's GUI guidelines for more practicality, e.g. if I want to quickly jump to 'Scramble', typing 'SC' would probably take the selection straight to it, but in Erockus, it only remembers the last key you pressed, so it'll only take you to 'C' in this instance.

But damn. You all have too much time on your hands if you use QMC2.

- Alex

I can attest to QMC2 being...irritating. I've yet to launch a single game with it. Hell, just navigating the ROM list is painful. And I'll be damned if I can figure out how to find the game I want to play with the QMC2-Arcade interface. There's no keyboard input at all that lets me move to at least the first letter of the ROM and the list it provides, all 36,000 or so is soooo slow scrolling with the mousewheel.

It'll take me years to get where I want to go for just one game at this rate.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 11 months ago #4200

Ero looks easy enough, plus it doesn't take up the hundreds of MB Q does.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 11 months ago #4205

I may try Ero. QMC2 is...shall we say, lacking. It feels like bloatware and runs just as poorly as bloatware. I finally got one game to work with it (P-47: Phantom Fighter). The machines run great since SDLMAME is solid, but ugh, front end eeeeeeek.

God I miss the days of MAME OS X.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 11 months ago #4209

ahhhhhh, I'm playing the most recent version of MAME finally after using OpenEmu's version forever, it seems. TY for those who mentioned Erockus, finally got it running & finished Metal Slug 5,

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 11 months ago #4211

So, does anyone know why neither QMC2 nor Erockus will actually save my controller preferences when I specifically set them via the "Input (General)" setting? Every time I switch to a new ROM or start the app again, all of my settings have to be redone. It's becoming quite tiresome.
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by Squishy Tia.

Re: MAME on Modern Macs Blog 7 years, 11 months ago #4212

I never have a problem with the control settings...then again I think most of you use gamepads, & I use the keyboard. lol

Time to create page: 0.22 seconds