Welcome, Guest
Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches

Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3447

I could swear that some time years ago Richard expressed strong opinions on hard-patching ROMs, and revealed that his emulators ought to pick up on and apply IPS patches co-located with ROM files. I have yet to get this to work, and can't seem to find any formal docs. Does anyone know if this feature made it into the OSX ports specifically of Nestopia and BSNES, and if so, how to get it working? Simply naming the .ips identically to the ROM and putting it in the same place doesn't work.

Re: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3448

I can't recall Richard stating anything like that.

I just redownloaded Nestopia (I always toss the docs after reading) and looked over the documentation, and didn't find anything saying it supports auto-patching. I also downloaded a Swedish translation for some NES game. It did not get auto-patched when I ran it in Nestopia.

Wasn't the reason people kept discussing IPS patchers on Emu/MacScene was because Richard never supported auto-patching? A cursory glance at my emulator collection makes it seem that the only one that auto-patches is SNES9X.

Re: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3449

The discussion was, iirc, tangential to rom organizers and my own request then for a patching tool. The argument being that hard-patching/hard-hacking is hell for organization because it creates numerous ambiguous versions of a game which may or may not be distinguishable from the original, may or may not run properly, etc., so it's much better to have a single source ROM and patches for anything you want to do to it, and that the best patching utility was transparent patching within the emulator...

Re: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3451

Here's a post that's likely relevant to this discussion.

Re: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3455

You are quite correct that I'm against hard patching of ROMs, and planned to add IPS support to my projects.

However, I never actually got round to doing it, and nobody has ever asked for it besides you

Re: Richard Bannister ports and IPS patches 11 years, 7 months ago #3457

that answers that- thanks!

Time to create page: 0.11 seconds