Welcome, Guest
Does anybody know how to get BS games running ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ?

Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3170

I've got the BS Zelda ROMs (the 1 through 4 versions) and the Remake ROM (which I presume is the 16-bit remake of the original Legend of Zelda), but BSNES just sits there with a blank screen (which I assume is due to lack of a BS-X ROM/BIOS being loaded), and SNES9x, even with the BS-X load option enabled, cannot load any of the BS Zelda ROMs.

The only reason I'm after this right now is I'm on a nostalgia binge. I just finished the original LoZ (both quests, swordless challenge on the second quest up to Gannon) and wanted to revisit BS Zelda, as I remember it to be insanely hard and quite fun to play.

So does anybody know how to get either of the two SNES emulators to properly open the ROM images for these games?

Sidenote: I don't remember Life Force (NES) being this easy. I just beat it with a single life, despite being a good 28 years older than I was when I played it as a kid, with theoretically worse reaction time than a child would have. It is refreshing to play twitch reflex games that aren't crappy FPS snoozefests.

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3171

Huh. Been awhile since I've tried BS games, but I don't recall having problems with Zelda or F-Zero last I made an attempt. I also don't recall there being 5 independent Zelda ROMs... Okay, BSNES isn't playing them. Surprise surprise; for the longest time most special chips weren't doable without hacks that Richard refused. SNES9x 1.52 is running F-Zero 2 just fine, no tweaks necessary, although it looks like the Zelda I remember may have been someone else's re-hacking of the BS release.

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3174

I've got 9x 1.52 as well, but it just gives a corrupt ROM error on the same ROMs that used to work (the BS-Zelda series was originally released on the net as week 1, 2, 3, and 4. The re-hacking was putting them together as a single ROM. The fifth ROM I'm assuming is the remake of the 8-bit LoZ.

Guess I'll have to find a new ROM.

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3178

Check the MD5 sums. Don't know what to check them against? A blue key could certainly help soon...

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3183

BSNES will run them.

You need to have bsxbios.smc in ~/Llibrary/Application Support/BSNES/BIOS ROMs/

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3185

Richard Bannister wrote:
BSNES will run them.

You need to have bsxbios.smc in ~/Llibrary/Application Support/BSNES/BIOS ROMs/

I'm assuming you meant ~/Llibrary/Application Support/Bannister/BSNES/BIOS ROMs/ right?

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3187

Hm. Thanks for the tip. Is the filename/spelling specific? I'm seeing "BS-X BIOS.smc" out in the wilds, but neither it nor renaming it seems to work (per Tia's observation, I'm trying in ~/Library/Application Support/Bannister/BSNES/BIOS ROMs)

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3188

bsxbios.smc

When the BIOS is missing you should actually get a popup telling you where to put the ROM.

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3189

wellll... never seen that popup. So either my ROMs are corrupt/hacked and SNES9X is just being lenient with them, or something isn't quite working right. 27" 64-bit late-'11 iMac, mostly-factory-max'd spec, 10.7.3, if any of that doesn't match your test systems. Thanks for taking an interest in clarifying this!

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3190

No, you're right. It appears that feature got broken in 0.6.8. Go back a version or three and you should find one that works.

Re: Does anybody know how to get BS games running ? 12 years, 1 month ago #3191

seanstar wrote:
wellll... never seen that popup. So either my ROMs are corrupt/hacked and SNES9X is just being lenient with them, or something isn't quite working right. 27" 64-bit late-'11 iMac, mostly-factory-max'd spec, 10.7.3, if any of that doesn't match your test systems. Thanks for taking an interest in clarifying this!

If you're using the roms from the BS-X Zelda Homepage (I didn't put the link in here to protect MacScene from any recourse - Google "BS-X Zelda" and it's the first page listed), then BSNES might throw a fit at them since they're both patched and trained (could do without the trainer). I got them "working" so to speak in BSNES 0.6.8, but you're stuck with no movement control whatsoever once the game world comes up and you're in the first house with Arinah. SNES9x 1.52 plays them just fine, though you'll need to rename your SRAM file to bszelda_astx.srm when launching the BS Zelda week 2 ROM, where the bolded x is the number for the week you're going to launch (so it reads from that .srm file to load your saved progress).

So far, about the only thing that really grinds my gears in BS-Z is that blasted strip of text at the bottom of the screen constantly remarking about my heart containers/bombs/random crap from the Seer/Arinah, as it blocks the bottom of my screen.

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds