Welcome, Guest
20fps in Zelda 64
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 20fps in Zelda 64

20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3013

Hello folks,

I have it on my GameCube, but since I am not at home a lot I am trying to play the Master Quest version of Zelda 64 on my Macbook Pro, 2011 edition. I have to use the version prior to the newest one (.9.2 I think) because town scenes instantly crash the program.

However, it always seemed sluggish. I just chalked it up to me not playing it in a while, but when I turned on the FPS counter, the game runs at 20fps solid. Not fluctuating, but on the dot. I turn off speed limiter and it runs 45-60, but in double speed. When the game is paused, the menu runs at 30fps. Anyone come across this problem? Or is it because I am playing a GamCube version of this rom rather than the original N64 rom?

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3014

And I just tested Pilot Wings 64, 60fps, no speed ups or slow downs.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3015

Ah. I see I am not that bright. The original Ocarina of Time ran at only 20fps. My bad.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3016

Hehe, glad we could help
BUT in all seriousness, I never realised Zelda 64 ran at that frame rate.
I am guessing Mario 64 does as well as it is the same 3D engine?

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3017

It might also be worth mentioning that PilotWings 64 ran in 320x240 mode on the N64. Zelda: OoT ran at 640x480 if I remember right.

PilotWings used 3D models with a lower polygon count and lower quality textures. This, along with other techniques used in the game made it less demanding on the GPU.

Zelda: OoT ran at 320x240, but the Gamecube remake ran at 640x480.
Last Edit: 12 years, 3 months ago by Squirrel. Reason: My memory is horrible

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3026

You sure the GC version wasn't just upscaled 320x240? I'd have a hard time believing the GC capable of playing native 640x480 N64 emulation at the 30 FPS I was seeing when I played it.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3031

I'm pretty sure the GC version was at 640x480. I also think it wasn't N64 emulation and was an actual port.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3034

Well, here's what I got from the wikipedia entry for Z:OOT:

Ports and re-releases
Ocarina of Time was re-released for the Nintendo GameCube as an emulated ROM, as a combo with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest and as a part of The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition.[57] The former was released as Zelda no Densetsu: Toki no Ocarina GC in Japan, with the Master Quest side named Zelda no Densetsu: Toki no Ocarina GC Ura. The "Ura" name stems from Master Quest's origins, as an expansion to Ocarina of Time to be used with the Nintendo 64DD under the working title Ura Zelda.[59] The Master Quest compilation was given as a premium for pre-ordering The Wind Waker in Japan and North America,[60] as well as in a special GameCube bundle at Wal-Mart (the disc came in the same case as The Wind Waker in the GameCube bundle). In Europe and Australia, the disc came in the same case as the initial pressings of The Wind Waker.[61] In Europe, it was available for a limited time through a special offer on the Nintendo website. The Ocarina of Time Master Quest box contains a single disc which includes the original game, the Master Quest version, and six video demos for various games for the GameCube including one for The Wind Waker and a video demo of the GBA re-release of A Link to the Past.[57] Master Quest uses the same engine and plot of Ocarina of Time, but dungeons have been altered.[57] Collector's Edition was available in GameCube bundles in Europe, Australia and North America, as well as by registering hardware and software, or by subscribing to official magazines or clubs.[62] In addition to Ocarina of Time, the disc also contains the original The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Majora's Mask, a demo of The Wind Waker, and a Zelda retrospective.[62] The original game is displayed on the Nintendo 64 with a resolution of 320×240, but the GameCube emulations run at 640 × 480 and support progressive scan.[57][63] The game was released in Europe and Australia for the Virtual Console on Nintendo's Wii console on February 23, 2007 for 1000 Wii Points. It was released in North America on February 26, 2007 and Japan on February 27, 2007.[64] This version is an emulation of the Nintendo 64 version, but does not support controller vibration, rendering an in-game item titled the "Stone of Agony" to be useless.[25][65] The Wii can play the GameCube compilation versions with this feature intact. A five minute demo of the game is included as an unlockable in Super Smash Bros Brawl

So basically it is indeed emulation, and since the original textures were designed for 320x240 and not changed (it's a ROM after all), it's not only running in emulation, but being upscaled (very well though). The fact that the GC, far less powerful than any computer even of its time, can emulate OOT, upscale it, use progressive scan on top of that (doubling the data fill rate) and running at 30 FPS, is massively impressive to say the least when even today's strongarm computers can't run N64 games at any consistent framerate, scaled or not scaled.

The ROM nature also explains a lot about why there was virtually nil load times. Very nice. Now I want to go back and finish my game. I really need to find some GC component video cables...S-Video just does not do it justice.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3036

Squishy Tia wrote:
Well, here's what I got from the wikipedia entry for Z:OOT:

So basically it is indeed emulation, and since the original textures were designed for 320x240 and not changed (it's a ROM after all), it's not only running in emulation, but being upscaled (very well though). The fact that the GC, far less powerful than any computer even of its time, can emulate OOT, upscale it, use progressive scan on top of that (doubling the data fill rate) and running at 30 FPS, is massively impressive to say the least when even today's strongarm computers can't run N64 games at any consistent framerate, scaled or not scaled.

The ROM nature also explains a lot about why there was virtually nil load times. Very nice. Now I want to go back and finish my game. I really need to find some GC component video cables...S-Video just does not do it justice.

Why do you think todays computers can't run N64 emulation? They can run PS2, GameCube and Wii emulation!
It's all a question about accuracy and optimization.
Do you remember Connectix Virtual Game Station? It ran PS1 games on a G3 with just around 250MHz!
For that Zelda game Nintendo could have done a lot of optimization because they have known hardware and need to run only one game so they could optimize on stuff Zelda needs and leave everything else out.

Re: 20fps in Zelda 64 12 years, 3 months ago #3039

Well, at least I got 1 part right.

Time to create page: 0.15 seconds