Welcome, Guest
Amiga emulation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Amiga emulation

Amiga emulation 14 years, 3 months ago #281

Hi

What is the current situation of Amiga emulation on the mac (OS X) ? I used to have a pretty alright one on OS 9, then after OS X came there wasn't any usable ones. But it's looooong time ago I checked. Which one would you guys recommend? BTW I'm running 10.4.11 on Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz.

(Sorry for posting a topic which I'm sure has been posted zillions of times... I'm a new member and it seems old post have been deleted?)

Re:Amiga emulation 14 years, 3 months ago #283

The only reasonable OS X option is E-UAE, which has not been updated in over a year but runs pretty well. You can use Hi-Toro to help with configuration. But it's nowhere near the standard of WinUAE and its many frontends.

You may be better off getting Crossover or Virtual Box and running WinUAE with either Amiga in a Box or AmigaSYS - even if that does add some unnecessary complexity.

Anyway, here are the links:
E-UAE - http://www.e-uae.de.vu/
Hi-Toro - http://www.pimley.net/projects_hi-toro.html

Re:Amiga emulation 14 years, 3 months ago #284

Thank you.

Do you (or anyone) have any idea how it might work with Parallels? Virtual Box requires 10.5 and up, while I have Tiger. I have contemplated upgrading, but my machine has only 2GB memory (Macbook 1,1 - Intel Core Duo 2,0 GHz). I just upgraded memory from 1GB to 2, to enjoy the possibility of having lots of applications simultaneously. I'm worried installing Snow Leopard on it would be like "downgrading" the memory again - or that it might make it sluggish with both Windows and MacOS X at the same time.

EDIT: Turns out support for Tiger was removed with VirtualBox 3.1: [2]Preliminary Mac OS X support (beta stage) was added with VirtualBox 1.4, full support with 1.6. Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) support was removed with VirtualBox 3.1. Might see if I can find an earlier version.
Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by Balthazar. Reason: More info on VirtualBox/Tiger support

Re:Amiga emulation 14 years, 3 months ago #292

OK - I've tried the VirtualBox solution now. The newest version of VB I could install was 3.0.12 (because I have Tiger), but it works like a charm...

Scrolling on Giana Sisters is a bit jerky, though. I thought that might have something to do with 3D acceleration. I know the amiga emulator doesn't do 3D, but many 2D games on the mac actually use OpenGL for hardware acceleration even in 2D. Might it be similar on the win platform? Anyway, turning on 3D acceleration didn't help... but it also says in the VB docs that 3D support is experimental for this version. Has anyone any experience with this? Can VB 3.1 provide smoother scrolling on WinUAE? Or should I experiment a little with WinUAE settings instead? The jerkyness doesn't ruin gameplay, though, it's just a little bit annoying.

Thanks anyway...

Re:Amiga emulation 14 years, 3 months ago #306

Amiga Forever works quite well... you just buy the CD (30 bucks or so) and it includes a pre-configured E-UAE, so it's just a matter of double clicking on it and you're up and running (legally.)

Edit: Giana Sisters works fine if you were wondering. Is the wiki still around? Maybe it's worth me writing up a guide some-time... it's not difficult to setup and install new games.
Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by jetboy.

Time to create page: 0.12 seconds