Welcome, Guest
My Mac OS project
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My Mac OS project

Re: My Mac OS project 9 years, 1 month ago #4036

Oh, yes, it looks like you're right. Appleton developed it and World Builder in 1984, but Enchanted Scepters wasn't released until '85 and World Builder went through further refinements before its 1986 release.

Re: My Mac OS project 9 years, 1 month ago #4037

Well that was interesting... same thing with Airborne! I thought it was 1984, but here's the version info:
Airborne Version 1.0 - 19 Feb., 1985

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4367

I've added a few new systems here.

Anyone have top apps for each of those years/OSes?

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4368

I'm looking at your System 7 floppies, and comparing them to my 7.1 floppies that came with my LC II. Are your floppy images retail? On my disks:
  • The Apple logo is sold black
  • There is no 7 on the front (gotta flip it over and look on the top part of the label to see Ver. 7.1)
  • Macintosh is horizontal

Speaking of the original PDS-equipped LC machines, I heard a lot of them were sold with the Apple IIe card (which mine has), making it a popular app.

Other popular software I remember from the System 7 days was Kaleidoscope and ... some software that allowed you to assign audio clips to system actions ... oh what that called again (it was more popular than Kaleidoscope too).

Edit: A quick search and I found SoundMaster. The UI looks really familiar to me.
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Squirrel. Reason: Found the program I was looking for

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4369

Couple of essentials

SoundJam MP
Power Pete
Elisa (or Eliza)
eWorld
Warcraft (1 and 2)
Spectre
Hotline
After Dark
Mechwarrior 2
Metrowerks
MPW
Opendoc and Cyberdog
Netscape
AOL and AIM
HyperCard
Escape Velocity
Appleworks
Stuffit
Adaptec and then Roxio Toast
CVGS - PS1 emulation while PS1 was still on sale!!!!

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4370

Random note, but my first Mac (not Apple) was a Powermac 6230... yes the "road apple"

Powermac 603 running at 75 mhz with a Quadra 25 mhz bus, 8 bit ide controller, and a PDS slot (with and mpeg decoder).

I loved it.

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4371

Squirrel wrote:
I'm looking at your System 7 floppies, and comparing them to my 7.1 floppies that came with my LC II. Are your floppy images retail? On my disks:
  • The Apple logo is sold black
  • There is no 7 on the front (gotta flip it over and look on the top part of the label to see Ver. 7.1)
  • Macintosh is horizontal

Speaking of the original PDS-equipped LC machines, I heard a lot of them were sold with the Apple IIe card (which mine has), making it a popular app.

Other popular software I remember from the System 7 days was Kaleidoscope and ... some software that allowed you to assign audio clips to system actions ... oh what that called again (it was more popular than Kaleidoscope too).

Edit: A quick search and I found SoundMaster. The UI looks really familiar to me.

My floppies are templated, but the template was created over top of the actual disk images -- the System 7 ones were based on retail disks; I remember the 7.1 ones that came bundled with a system being exactly as you described.

I suspect that System 7 was when they began making the artwork different for the bundled OS and the retail OS -- 7.1 had the hardware-based enablers that were specific to the install floppy, where the retail package had all the enablers in it.

You'll note that I had to resort to bundled CD images for some of the System 7.1 and 7.5 apps; I never had the retail copies of those and can't find images of the retail disks online.

Kaleidoscope came out around 7.6 I believe -- before that there was the Aaron extension that came out around the time of 7.5 and provided the Copland look only; the author then expanded it to the Kaleidoscope we all knew and loved.

Menace690: my first personal Mac was the Color Classic: the OTHER road apple. Of course, I eventually took it apart and modded it; back then, I helped maintain the Color Classic listserver and there were a few of us who were tracing pinouts and figuring out how to add extra components to the daughterboard. I eventually had mine running at 30MHz with 32 MB RAM. Those were the days (of floppy exchange madness, Zip drive clickdeath, etc.).
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by _Em.

Re: My Mac OS project 6 years, 2 months ago #4372

I also owned at 4400.. cause of the x86 card.

It got better though.

8600 upgraded to Sonnet 466 G3.

Since then I've owned a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro from every generation. And a few Macbook Airs in between. Currently on a Hackintosh though.. Apple needs to catch up the Mac Pro...

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years, 1 month ago #4382

IUG wrote:
When you get to OS 8 I would say I had MacAmp Mini or something like that. It was a tiny MP3 player that docked in the upper right corner with some controls that popped out when you clicked it. MacAst? Can't really remember. But OS 9 I definitely switched to Audion, which is still available for download it seems.

I still miss Audion and its skins. I use Bowtie now, but it's not even close to being the same.

Macast Lite was my favourite. I remember having this little, futuristic-looking tube down the bottom of my screen that did everything. For better or for worse, I find myself increasingly frustrated at how little I like modern computers/software. After a certain point, everything became too cluttered, reliant on the sharing of data and (consequently) reliant on having a fast internet connection (which I don't always have access to).

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years, 1 month ago #4383

I always loved the Audion skins. Would love to one day take the time to bring them into a new OS X mp3 player. I miss the simplicity of the old players, but the skins were awesome.

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years, 1 month ago #4389

I miss the old MacAMP. Slim. Sleek. Played just about everything under the sun at the time, including S3M and MOD files (I wish I could find out how to extract those from Candy Crisis so I could play them again as I've forgotten the "hidden" access route to the sound test in that game...)

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years ago #4404

Don't know if this is the game, but the src is available (including assets)

sourceforge.net/projects/candycrisis/?source=typ_redirect

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years ago #4408

menace690 wrote:
I always loved the Audion skins. Would love to one day take the time to bring them into a new OS X mp3 player. I miss the simplicity of the old players, but the skins were awesome.

Oh for sure!!!

IMO iTunes has evolved into something far different from what Soundjam and Audion were. It'd be cool to have a barebones MP3 player with high-res Audion skins and more basic functionality (i.e. 'can copy files on and off your phone whether it be an iPhone or Android'). I know streaming seems to have taken over, but I don't stream stuff unless it's a radio station... I like to keep my audio files locally.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to make an app that uses existing APIs for playing music and is basically just a custom UI with buttons on it? Coding up the custom UI would be a bit tricky for me (maybe not for you). Other than that, it'd just be a music management system that hooks into the UI. Guessing speed could be an issue given the size of some libraries out there. But meh... I've never really been a music hoarder so wouldn't really care.

Let me know if you ever get around to this. Otherwise, I might try cobbling something together and putting the code online. I could probably even botch it up in Python or something so that it can run on anything.

---

Rant ahead (try not to read it).

TBH I've gotten to the stage where I wouldn't mind it if I could keep the same version of my OS (and music player) for life, so long as they roll out timely security patches. I don't have the money for new Macs and I couldn't care less about any of the features that have been rolled out in the last ~6 or 7 releases of OS X/macos/MacOS... whatever the hell they wanna call it. I'm not even old. I'm just grumpy and disinterested with having to learn about all the new features (and adapt to new file management + app signing policies...etc) with every release. My computer has been hacked multiple times over by my lunatic ex-wife who installed trojans on it before she left me and has since paid people to get into my e-mail. Everything's now locked down very tightly and I don't need Apple forcing me to do it their way, at the expense of general ease of use (which will never be regained).

If there was a modern web browser, I could ALMOST install MacOS 8.6 inside an emu, boot into it and do my Word processing, web browsing (including e-mail) and music listening from within it. But that would just be sad and bitter
Last Edit: 6 years ago by jetboy.

Re:My Mac OS project 6 years ago #4417

menace690 wrote:
Don't know if this is the game, but the src is available (including assets)

sourceforge.net/projects/candycrisis/?source=typ_redirect

Yep. Had to choose the Intel Mac version as that uses FMOD. The older version had them embedded into the game app and not with the source code.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4429

Well, after what... 10 years? I'm finally starting to put things together:

www.youtube.com/channel/UC1bqwhmNJZTU4i94j3z4K4A

I'm taking suggestions for apps, but also need to put Finder walkthroughs in for all the different versions. And I'm trying to create my own soundtracks for each one that reflects the music popular at the time

Anyway, based on the way I'm doing it, I'll probably start off just with some walkthroughs showing what things are like, and may add real voiceovers at some point in the future -- I don't get much time with my professional mic and a quiet room these days

[edit] Hah! I said 10 years... it's been 20 since I started this project! I was working on time vaulting the early versions of Mac OS before OS X even existed...
Last Edit: 5 years, 11 months ago by _Em.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4430

_Em wrote:
And I'm trying to create my own soundtracks for each one that reflects the music popular at the time

Check the QuickTime folders on the OS install discs. I know on my 9.0.4 disc you can find music videos there, one was from the Barenaked Ladies.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4431

Yeah; I found those back then and have them in my assets library. Unfortunately, most of that stuff can't be used because YouTube gives me the copyright smackdown if I include clips.

So I'm going with music I wrote myself that captures the feeling of the hits of the era instead, and sticking to screen captures and original content for the video.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4432

I guess I should have been clearer. I intended the sample media files on the installer discs to be examples of what was popular at the time, not for you to actually use the sample files.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4433

Ah; yes... I'm going from the Billboard top 100 and writing my own stuff that echoes trends I see in the year's popular music.

Re: My Mac OS project 5 years, 11 months ago #4435

Here's my latest photos... things have changed a bit, but not much:

Videos and music are progressing

Time to create page: 0.26 seconds