Welcome, Guest
My Mac OS project
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My Mac OS project

Re: My Mac OS project 2 years, 11 months ago #4036

Oh, yes, it looks like you're right. Appleton developed it and World Builder in 1984, but Enchanted Scepters wasn't released until '85 and World Builder went through further refinements before its 1986 release.

Re: My Mac OS project 2 years, 11 months ago #4037

Well that was interesting... same thing with Airborne! I thought it was 1984, but here's the version info:
Airborne Version 1.0 - 19 Feb., 1985

Re: My Mac OS project 2 weeks ago #4367

I've added a few new systems here.

Anyone have top apps for each of those years/OSes?

Re: My Mac OS project 1 week, 6 days ago #4368

I'm looking at your System 7 floppies, and comparing them to my 7.1 floppies that came with my LC II. Are your floppy images retail? On my disks:
  • The Apple logo is sold black
  • There is no 7 on the front (gotta flip it over and look on the top part of the label to see Ver. 7.1)
  • Macintosh is horizontal

Speaking of the original PDS-equipped LC machines, I heard a lot of them were sold with the Apple IIe card (which mine has), making it a popular app.

Other popular software I remember from the System 7 days was Kaleidoscope and ... some software that allowed you to assign audio clips to system actions ... oh what that called again (it was more popular than Kaleidoscope too).

Edit: A quick search and I found SoundMaster. The UI looks really familiar to me.
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by Squirrel. Reason: Found the program I was looking for

Re: My Mac OS project 1 week, 6 days ago #4369

Couple of essentials

SoundJam MP
Power Pete
Elisa (or Eliza)
eWorld
Warcraft (1 and 2)
Spectre
Hotline
After Dark
Mechwarrior 2
Metrowerks
MPW
Opendoc and Cyberdog
Netscape
AOL and AIM
HyperCard
Escape Velocity
Appleworks
Stuffit
Adaptec and then Roxio Toast
CVGS - PS1 emulation while PS1 was still on sale!!!!

Re: My Mac OS project 1 week, 6 days ago #4370

Random note, but my first Mac (not Apple) was a Powermac 6230... yes the "road apple"

Powermac 603 running at 75 mhz with a Quadra 25 mhz bus, 8 bit ide controller, and a PDS slot (with and mpeg decoder).

I loved it.

Re: My Mac OS project 1 week, 5 days ago #4371

Squirrel wrote:
I'm looking at your System 7 floppies, and comparing them to my 7.1 floppies that came with my LC II. Are your floppy images retail? On my disks:
  • The Apple logo is sold black
  • There is no 7 on the front (gotta flip it over and look on the top part of the label to see Ver. 7.1)
  • Macintosh is horizontal

Speaking of the original PDS-equipped LC machines, I heard a lot of them were sold with the Apple IIe card (which mine has), making it a popular app.

Other popular software I remember from the System 7 days was Kaleidoscope and ... some software that allowed you to assign audio clips to system actions ... oh what that called again (it was more popular than Kaleidoscope too).

Edit: A quick search and I found SoundMaster. The UI looks really familiar to me.

My floppies are templated, but the template was created over top of the actual disk images -- the System 7 ones were based on retail disks; I remember the 7.1 ones that came bundled with a system being exactly as you described.

I suspect that System 7 was when they began making the artwork different for the bundled OS and the retail OS -- 7.1 had the hardware-based enablers that were specific to the install floppy, where the retail package had all the enablers in it.

You'll note that I had to resort to bundled CD images for some of the System 7.1 and 7.5 apps; I never had the retail copies of those and can't find images of the retail disks online.

Kaleidoscope came out around 7.6 I believe -- before that there was the Aaron extension that came out around the time of 7.5 and provided the Copland look only; the author then expanded it to the Kaleidoscope we all knew and loved.

Menace690: my first personal Mac was the Color Classic: the OTHER road apple. Of course, I eventually took it apart and modded it; back then, I helped maintain the Color Classic listserver and there were a few of us who were tracing pinouts and figuring out how to add extra components to the daughterboard. I eventually had mine running at 30MHz with 32 MB RAM. Those were the days (of floppy exchange madness, Zip drive clickdeath, etc.).
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by _Em.

Re: My Mac OS project 6 days, 6 hours ago #4372

I also owned at 4400.. cause of the x86 card.

It got better though.

8600 upgraded to Sonnet 466 G3.

Since then I've owned a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro from every generation. And a few Macbook Airs in between. Currently on a Hackintosh though.. Apple needs to catch up the Mac Pro...

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds