Welcome, Guest
New OpenEmu UI
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New OpenEmu UI

New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 7 months ago #2488

Anyone seem the new OpenEmu UI that's in the works?

There's a nice video on Flickr by one of the devs showing current progress if you want to take a look.

I think it's looking pretty sweet!

About 25 seconds in, it also shows a list of cores (not sure if this is just for demonstration purposes), but there are a few new ones in the list:
  • Mupen64Plus
  • NeoPop
  • Mednafen

Re:New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 7 months ago #2490

Wow, that does look nice. Gosh, and it looks a lot like some of the development stuff for Archive. Coincidence?

And just in case you don't pick up on the sarcasm, it is not a coincidence.

Re:New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 7 months ago #2496

Way to be subtle there, Ryan.

Re:New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 6 months ago #2620

Just thought I'd show some of the more recent progress.

f.cl.ly/items/0t1w2O3e3o1z1i191A0B/Screen%20Recording%203.mov
www.flickr.com/photos/mucx/6181277819/in/photostream
www.flickr.com/photos/mucx/6177451409/in/photostream

And on the topic of Mupen, Mednafen and others. We have a couple of new cores in progress, but our first priority with the upcoming release is a clean and consistent UI.

- Josh

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 3 months ago #2905

This emulator is going to be so amazing! I seriously can't wait for this to be released! Great job guys! I love it!

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 2 months ago #3094

I see the OpenEmu team has recently kicked into high gear with multiple commits per day and emulation cores being updated. Oooo, this is exciting.

I had, for the last few years, lost interest in emulation... not because the idea of playing old games was becoming unappealing, but rather because the emulators themselves were becoming unappealing. And with nice 27" displays on iMacs and Bluetooth being standard on all Macs, the experience of playing old games at HQ4x with a Dualshock 3 is becoming interesting.

With no disrespect to Richard Bannister, Bannister's emulators are getting long in the tooth. They were amazing 4-5 years ago, but OS X evolved... new interesting features have been added which were ready for exploitation. But Bannister has a life outside programming. There isn't much money to be made from emulators. I understand his situation completely.

I think the idea of an open-source emulator shell makes more sense... not many people want to pay for an emulator (much less so for old console emulators)... so if a group of enthusiasts get together and contribute to a project, it will most likely become a better solution than that of one man toiling away at a project and not being paid.

I look forward to OpenEmu 2.0... with Lion fullscreen (assuming OpenEmu will make use of it), Dualshock 3 support in Lion, and all the organizational features in OpenEmu 2.0, emulation will be a pleasure again.

Thank you OpenEmu team.

Side note: Boxer also got me excited again. Especially the 1.2 release with MT-32 emulation. And interestingly, I first heard of OpenEmu 2.0's new UI on Alun's blog.
Last Edit: 12 years, 2 months ago by rented mule.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3108

No offence taken.

My ports are getting a bit tired, just like John Stiles' ones did a decade ago.

I am going to attempt to keep them running for as long as Apple supports the Carbon API.

However, I think it's fairly clear to me at this point that OpenEmu is the future. Keep up the good work guys

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3109

Richard Bannister wrote:
No offence taken.

My ports are getting a bit tired, just like John Stiles' ones did a decade ago.

I am going to attempt to keep them running for as long as Apple supports the Carbon API.

However, I think it's fairly clear to me at this point that OpenEmu is the future. Keep up the good work guys

I, and I'm sure everyone here, thank you for all the work you have done. If it wasn't for you, we would not have had awesome emulators on OS X.

There sometimes comes a time when priorities change and I understand your situation completely.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3110

RB's emulators may be "long in the tooth", but just because something's old doesn't mean it's useless or that you throw it away. They get the job done, and are damned accurate to boot, so they're still my main go-to if I want a stint of nostalgia.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3111

And, they have that CRT curvature emulation…

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3112

Now if I could just figure out how to get a joystick and buttons mapped in Rainbow. Only Full Screen and Turbo are available to be set... ^_^

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3113

Squishy Tia wrote:
RB's emulators may be "long in the tooth", but just because something's old doesn't mean it's useless or that you throw it away. They get the job done, and are damned accurate to boot, so they're still my main go-to if I want a stint of nostalgia.

As I said before, my plan is to keep them going for as long as Apple supports Carbon. Furthermore, I will do my best to release any core updates provided it is possible (BSNES regrettably isn't, as the core now uses C++ extensions that are not available in the version of GCC included with Xcode).

I do have an unfinished version of Emulator Enhancer developed with Cocoa, but it needs considerable work to bring it to release quality, and there are more important things on my radar for at least the next year.

Now if I could just figure out how to get a joystick and buttons mapped in Rainbow. Only Full Screen and Turbo are available to be set... ^_^

I just had a look at the code. The reason this doesn't work is that Rainbow uses its own internal keyboard handling rather than that provided by my shell; in fact, this code is unchanged from the first versions of Rainbow written by Chris Lam years ago. This is only likely to be fixed if and when I finish the Cocoa shell code. In short, don't hold your breath

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3114

No worries.

My only real question is why Chris didn't implement at least a single fire button and joystick axes input mapping. I had an 800 (with the 48k RAM expansion and 10k ROM pack) given to me by my 8th grade teacher so I could learn computers better, and I only needed the joystick with its single trigger (and very much cramp inducing design) and the 800's keyboard to play. But it's hard to play Star Raiders with no joystick. Ah well.

If the inability to enjoyably play Star Raiders is the worst of my "complaints", then I'd say I've got it relatively good in life, yes? So don't worry about it. I was at least able to play Sir Galahad and the Holy Grail again, complete with all the bugs and glitches when I ran it on the original hardware.

I'm curious why Apple hasn't included the latest C++ extensions in XCode though. It seemed for a while once XCode came around and we were able to ditch CodeWarrior, that we (Apple/OS X) was racing ahead, perhaps not as far ahead as the general Linux distros' compilers, but better than what Windows had. Yet now it seems like we're falling further and further behind. Apple seems focused on forcing iOS on all of us (Lion's internal unkillable features) and stiffling any real advancement by anybody other than themselves on OS X. Being such that it is, I can wholeheartedly understand and agree with how you're handling things - it's hard to make advances when there's brick wall after brick wall in front of you, so you're left with basically putting out maintenance updates for as long as the API you use is supported. I used to be "gimme gimme gimme" and "it's broke FIX IT", but these last few years have taught me a fair bit about why you and others like you can't just revamp things willy nilly - it just ain't that easy.

Anyway, one game is hardly anything worth losing any sleep over. I have tons of other options via your other emulators, and I can still play the 2600 version of Star Raiders (which is the original version I grew up on anyway), so go enjoy yourself. And be proud that your software is among the tiny tiny percentage of software out there that has survived three major OS releases without any real need for change. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

(Sure wish Blizzard would learn that one...)

P.S. - My only regret with Atari emulation is that I know of no way to "fry" a 2600 via emulation. Doing so introduced some hilarious effects into games.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3115

Richard,

I haven't tried this myself... but what about installing a newer GCC from Fink and then having XCode use it instead. I know you can do that for C++0x.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3116

There is a bsnes port to old c++ over at github.com/Themaister/

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3117

Such a port is likely to have lost some of the functionality of the C++0x port simply due to losing those newer extensions, basically rendering the BSNES core the same as it is now (i.e. not worth the effort and why there is no such implementation on the OS X port of BSNES). Reinventing the newly reinvented wheel just to make it look like the original wheel is not the best way (or even a feasible way) to go about coding things like emulators. May as well just start from scratch at that point.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3118

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3119

I'm curious why Apple hasn't included the latest C++ extensions in XCode though.

The problem, quite simply, is the GPL.

gcc 4.3 and later use GPLv3, which contains a number of clauses that large companies are not willing to risk. As such, Apple is gradually shifting towards LLVM/Clang which uses the BSD license.

LLVM/Clang do not include these extensions yet.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3120

Ahh...yes, the GPL strikes again. It's the main reason we lost any halfway decent Samba implementation as well. I suppose I'm somewhat on the naive side when it comes to dealing with the GPL since I don't really deal with Linux distros much, and since many distros are available commercially as well as freely, I can see some starting to move away from the GPL'd items like Apple's doing.

I wish autosave/versions was under GPL...

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3121

I don't… I find Auto Save and Versions to be 2 of my most used lion features… other than Mission Control…

Time to create page: 0.26 seconds