Welcome, Guest
Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch

Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 5 months ago #1911

Hi everybody! First of all thanks to byuu for this great emulator e to Richard for this great port!
I've switched recently to BSNES as my main Snes emulator, but I've discovered that the Richard Mac port doesn't automatically soft-patches the rom at load, nor in IPS or UPS format. The patches are correctly named after the roms and having the roms zipped or unzipped doesn't make any difference. Same roms and patches works fine in Snes9x and ZSnes.
Is this a bug or a missing feature?

Re: Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 5 months ago #1914

It is currently not a feature found in BSNES. It's been a while since I've had to patch a ROM (since the OS 9 days actually!) so I don't know if there's a manual IPS patcher app for OS X.

Re: Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 4 months ago #1915

Back in the early Mac OS X days I remember using UIPS from Terminal - www.neillcorlett.com/uips/

Around the time of the Mother 3 translation (but before they just made a Mac OS X patcher app) they pointed people to JIPS as a Java patch tool - zerosoft.zophar.net/jips.php

I know I preferred to patch a ROM beforehand rather than on-the-fly, but I've never tried the auto-patch functionalities.

Re:Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 4 months ago #1916

I know there are several tools to patch roms under OS X, although they are often very old and PPC only, such as the fine UIPS, and most of the windows tools runs great under Wine, but I always prefer to leave the original roms ontouched and let the emulator soft patch them.
Is strange the OS X port doesn't support a feature found in the original bsnes core

Re:Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 4 months ago #1917

aculotarpa wrote:
most of the windows tools runs great under Wine

I personally use a Wine-bottled version of IPSWin after most of the OS X tools I used to use perfectly seemed to be giving me grief, particularly on MSX roms.

Re:Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 2 months ago #2046

I have just discovered a very wonderful tool for patching roms and isos under OS X: MultiPatch. It handles IPS, UPS, PPF, XDelta or BSDiff, and it's a fine Cocoa Universal app!

Also, in the official bsnes forum I have found a Mac build of the 0.73 version (this topic, 11th post). It has a ugly, and buggy!, QT interface, miles away from the shiny Bannister's Cocoa port, but it has all the feature of the original bsnes, such as the IPS/UPS support.
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by aculotarpa.

Re:Bannister BSNES and IPS/UPS patch 13 years, 2 months ago #2056

Is strange the OS X port doesn't support a feature found in the original bsnes core

The Mac port is built upon "libsnes" which doesn't support patches.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds