Welcome, Guest
Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!)

Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!) 13 years, 5 months ago #1797

Hi all,

some months ago (before MacScene's previous server crashed) I had some terrific help in the forum when trying to compile Quasi88, a PC88 emulator, for my Dual 2.3Ghz G5 running MacOS X Tiger 10.4.11. I always wanted to refer back to those forum posts for that fateful day I'd be running an Intel Mac (now a 2010 MacBook Pro) and Snow Leopard, but alas, the older forum posts are lost and I can't even remember who it was that helped me.

I have the Apple Developer Tools installed and I can remember some of how to compile Quasi88 from the downloadable source, but my biggest problem now is how to install Fink properly, which is required to utilise some programming libraries for compiling, on Snow Leopard. Previous versions of Fink came with an installer and for some annoying reason, they now expect a non-programmer like me to now compile this for Snow Leopard just to compile Quasi88.

Anyway, I thought I had installed Fink from the instructions provided from the latest source following the instructions to compile that came with it and it certainly took a while to do its thing to install/compile, but now if I use 'fink' in the terminal it doesn't even recognise the command! Additionally, hoping that Fink Commander, the GUI for listing and installing libraries for Fink, would still work, it doesn't seem to list ANY of the libraries it should be able to download.

Any help on getting PC88 up and running on MacOS X 10.6.4 greatly appreciated. I am not a programmer, so please be gentle with me

Someone perhaps being able to make a proper app out of Quasi88 even more appreciated!

Re:Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!) 13 years, 5 months ago #1803

I have no idea why you are trying something with Fink, because the only thing you need apart from the developer tools is SDL.

To set up SDL for development you have to download SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz, extract it and execute the following Terminal commands inside the new SDL-1.2.14 directory:
./configure
make
sudo make install

The last command will ask for your administrator password, because it is necessary to copy the files to the system directories.

For Quasi88 I had to remember and retrace my own steps from last time, because I'm not really interested in that machine and had deleted my changes a while ago.

In the Makefile change lines 16 and 17 from this
X11_VERSION	= 1
# SDL_VERSION	= 1

to this
# X11_VERSION	= 1
SDL_VERSION	= 1

to enable SDL instead of X11.

Also change lines 182 and 196 from this
ARCH = freebsd
# ARCH = macosx

to this
# ARCH = freebsd
ARCH = macosx

to enable the Mac OS X build instead of the FreeBSD one.

If you want English instead of Japanese menus, open the file menu.c in the src directory and change line 42 from
int	menu_lang	= LANG_JAPAN;

to
int	menu_lang	= LANG_ENGLISH;

Now perform a
make

in the quasi88-0.6.3 directory and you should get a quasi88.sdl executable as the result.

The rest is up to you, because I'm really not familiar with that kind of machine and don't want to try to understand source code with Japanese comments.

Re:Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!) 13 years, 5 months ago #1805

Thanks Mike for your specific instructions! I'll try it when I get the next chance.

I was simply trying to reuse Fink because that's what worked for me last time. I thought perhaps that Quasi88 required two libraries, one being SDL, but I was never sure what the other one was.

Anyways, I should be able to take it from here - that all important 'english' setting makes playing around with the emulator a lot easier. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Alex

Re:Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!) 13 years, 5 months ago #1822

Just to confirm, those instructions worked! Thanks again M.I.K.e! I'll be sharing the information on the PC88 forum and I know they'll be grateful!

- Alex

Re:Help getting Quasi88 Running (again!) 13 years, 5 months ago #1827

Good to know. Hopefully the instructions will be online a bit longer than last time.

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds