BSNES 0.64 is out
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: BSNES 0.64 is out

BSNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1108

www.bannister.org/software/index.htm

Updates:

- Support for cheat codes.
- Support for Super Gameboy titles.
- Saved state support for SuperFX and SA-1 titles.
- Decryption of SPC7110 games.
- Various accuracy improvements.
- Intel Only

The improved accuracy drops about 8 fps on my MBP from the previous release, though it's still a good 10 fps faster than 0.46 was.
Last Edit: 13 years, 9 months ago by vitaflo.

Re:BNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1109

Richard's release is 100% identical to my v065 release. In fairness I did mention he should use v065 for his release version number

The speed loss is because Richard is having difficulty installing GCC 4.4, and I don't know how to profile the external library I build for him. It would be ~10-15% faster if we found out how to do that.

On the plus side, the library means a stable API so new releases can occur quicker.

Re:BNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1116

Honestly how good is this emulator. It runs like absolute crap on my Core Duo Macbook (5 years old) and I think I tried it on my G5 but didn't expect much. I've got about 125 NES games atm and only emulate it for the harder ones or non NES produced games so I'm always looking for the next best thing besides Nestopia.

Re:BNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1118

Pixelcade wrote:
Honestly how good is this emulator. It runs like absolute crap on my Core Duo Macbook (5 years old) and I think I tried it on my G5 but didn't expect much. I've got about 125 NES games atm and only emulate it for the harder ones or non NES produced games so I'm always looking for the next best thing besides Nestopia.

It's one of the best emu's out there because of its accuracy. There are other options if you just want to play games on old Macs.

Re:BNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1119

Pixelcade wrote:

First of all its plays SNES games. You also need at least 2.0GHz to run the app due to intensive accuracy when emulating games. Do some testing before you post.
Last Edit: 13 years, 9 months ago by DookieMan.

Re:BSNES 0.64 is out 13 years, 9 months ago #1122

Damn, wasn't aware Apple made Intel systems that were too slow to get 60fps. Here I was hoping the Mac would be my one reprieve from the "my old dinosaur can't run it, ergo your emulator sucks" posts.

I can assure you, the best minds in the emulation world have looked at and helped optimize my code. For what all it does, it is quite efficient.

And if you think ZSNES or Snes9X is perfect, you can take a look here:
zsnes.bountysource.com/development/bug_report
That list is far from inclusive, and excludes dozens of game specific hacks. Snes9X has even more hacks.

bsnes has zero hacks, and zero known bugs. Not even Nestopia on the NES can command that level of compatibility. I can't even think of another emulator for any system that can make such a claim.

If your computer is too slow, or you don't see any problems with your games, stick with those emulators. Please don't judge the quality of an emulator because it won't run on your specific hardware. Many people have newer hardware that can run it just fine; my 2-year-old E8400 gets 180fps on average.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds