Welcome, Guest
Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ???
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ???

Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1107

Is there any way to do this?
I have tons of old classic files I'd like to use again.

Any programs out there to help?

Re: Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1110

...I don't remember when Apple discontinued Classic on OS X/PPC, but have you looked in System Preferences to see if that option is there?

Now that I think of it.. I think after Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger went Intel Classic was phased out....

If that's the case look up SheepShaver or something along those lines. I believe it can emulate Mac System 7 - Mac OS 9.0.4. That should suite your needs. There are MULTIPLE tutorials out there. You can get it ...in a not so legal way... or you can get it running with a real Mac OS ROM that's available in a real copy of Mac OS 9. I won't say how to get the "illegal" copy of it, all set up and ready to go, but if you google around you're sure to find it.

I hope that helped. = )
Last Edit: 13 years, 9 months ago by ShiggitySays.

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1124

Classic works on anything pre-10.5, including 10.4.11, as long as you're on a PPC Mac. 10.5 nixed Classic support, and none of the Intel Macs had any Classic support...ever.

There's only three apps I like Classic for:

UT99 (OS X version has no music, and the Center View button does not work)
Lemmings (Mac version had the BEST music of them all)
WARLORDS. (God I miss this game...so...freaking...MUCH)

Re: Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1136

You'll want to set up an emulator. Here's the tutorials:

emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup (to emulate a PPC Macintosh running OS 9)
emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_osx_setup (to emulate a 68K Macintosh running System 7/8)

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1198

Thanks all. Yup, after 10.4 classic died on me.
I have, I bet over 500 classic CD's laying around. I used to be a hardware manager at the local CompUSA and all the free demos, vendor specials and I DO own real copies of OS 6.5 - 9.2.2.

Now, if I can get a basic win XP emu running well. I can play my Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 [best game ever].

Thanks

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1199

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

The install was a bit tricky but, I got it running.
I had to use a ROM file from my original OS8 CD and I loaded OS 9.0.4 from it's CD in 10 minutes!

Right now, it's loading. One of my favorite old programs was Astarte CD Copy. This was the only program that duplicated a RIP of an XA-Format CD. Like PSX and Sega CD. Since I am a game collector. I wonder how well the ol' copy of Connectix Powerstation works?

I'm excited....THANKS!

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1200

I am noticing it will not read the superdrive in my G5 PPC.
Any ideas? It read the OS9 CD but why not any other?

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1201

DJ Hot Wheel wrote:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

The install was a bit tricky but, I got it running.
I had to use a ROM file from my original OS8 CD and I loaded OS 9.0.4 from it's CD in 10 minutes!

Right now, it's loading. One of my favorite old programs was Astarte CD Copy. This was the only program that duplicated a RIP of an XA-Format CD. Like PSX and Sega CD. Since I am a game collector. I wonder how well the ol' copy of Connectix Powerstation works?

I'm excited....THANKS!

I'm guessing you mean Connectix Virtual Game Station. Last I checked, and I am pretty sure it still holds, this does not work as the emulators do not emulate the ATI graphics card calls that were required for VGS to work.

Re:Classic on PowerPC Mac 10.5.x ??? 13 years, 9 months ago #1206

Sorry you are right. Just have not looked for the program in years, forgot the name.
The SheepShaver does have issues looking for the CD drive properly.

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds