Welcome, Guest
Idea for interpreter...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Idea for interpreter...

Idea for interpreter... 10 years, 1 month ago #3909

Recently I've been play a bunch of World Builder games in Mini vMac. Lots of classics from my childhood!

Since a few have bugs I've been using a hex editor to fix them. For example one has a bunch of if statements that stop you from opening a bonus door. IF you are carrying the 'wrong' card then you can't enter (even if you have the right one). And you can't drop the wrong card...

So I changed the if statement to include a random item that uses the same number of characters. One that you won't have by that stage of the game.

Lots of examples like this...

---

Using a hex editor and World Builder I've worked out a way that I could convert the hex into 'World Builder' code. Which in turn I could probably interpret (using some basic C, VBS or PHP).

The graphics and sound would not be available if I did this because I don't know how I'd turn code that says '_____ is in this room' into an actual object that you can see. Mainly because I don't know how to extract the original graphics/sound... and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Does anybody with more coding experience know if this method COULD work? Or am I going about it the wrong way?

Probably out of my depth, but I just felt it would be such a cool interpreter to have...

Re: Idea for interpreter... 10 years, 1 month ago #3922

I can't help solve your problems, but just thought I would chime in to say that this sounds like a great project. I'd use it!

Re: Idea for interpreter... 10 years ago #3935

I don't know how I'd turn code that says '_____ is in this room' into an actual object that you can see. Mainly because I don't know how to extract the original graphics/sound... and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with them.

This was solved decades ago by people doing a tileset for Rogue; see also things like rltiles.sourceforge.net/

Suffice it to say, once you've got the code, you need to tokenize the strings and map them to the tiles. Then you can do this.

Of course,you'd either have to use an already available tileset, or figure out how to extract the originals. Since the original sound is likely short PCM clips, MIDI, tracker tunes, or some direct-to-sound-chipset stuff, first you need to figure out what it was using. For the graphics, it should be easier, as it had to be converted to bitmap at some point. Point me at the original software and I could see if I can reverse enough of it to show you how/where it's stored.

Time to create page: 0.11 seconds