Welcome, Guest
Zelda Timeline
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Zelda Timeline

Zelda Timeline 12 years, 3 months ago #2936

Love Zelda, second game I ever owned after Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. I played almost every entry in the series. Followed everything Nintendo did with it from that day I made my first save on that gold cartridge when I was 8 years old.

So, I was thrilled to learn, Nintendo are putting out a book that details the art and general work that has gone on through the years. (Something better to celebrate it's anniversary than the poor showing for Mario).

News trickled out about an official Zelda timeline in the book and IGN has the news on that.

It's interesting, but, I have to admit, I was one of those that thought the series never had a timeline. I thought it would be better if it didn't. I likened the 'LEGEND of Zelda' to the story of Robin Hood. A fable passed down through generations and retold in different ways until any semblance of truth had been overwritten by a more elaborate romantic rendition. I likened thought to put Zelda into a timeline was as easy as trying to put all the Robin Hood movies into a chronological order.

Each Zelda to me was a kind of retelling of the story passed on through lore. Or the invention of side stories to further tell the story of who Link was. With key elements remaining: Ganon, a Triforce, a princess called Zelda... oh but he travelled through time, I heard he got shipwrecked after that... a story about him sailing over the flooded lands... He grew up in the woods as a child before travelling Hyrule and finding his destiny... He lived in the Sky...
Last Edit: 12 years, 3 months ago by Mucx.

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years, 3 months ago #2945

This got a bit more interesting here. Sort of weird to see Zelda "explained". I think I preferred the mystery of the Legend.

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years, 3 months ago #2948

I know right? What's next... a scientific explanation of the Force in Star Wars? ... oh....damn

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years, 2 months ago #2982

That is... unsettling. It's kinda telling that they needed to branch it 3 ways to fit it all in. And they don't show the CDi games, which I thought were still nominally shoehorned canon.

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years, 1 month ago #3173

Nintendo had nothing to do with the CDi games. As far as I remember Philips had a deal with Nintendo to still use some of their characters for their own platform after the CD add-on for the SNES fell apart (again).

Wikipedia has a little more info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i_games_from_Th...a_series#Development
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by Mungo.

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years, 1 month ago #3176

The first rule about CDi Zelda games is that we don't mention CDi Zelda games. Ever.

/troutsmack

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years ago #3230

Crazy score at the local vintage game shop today ^_^ (wait, sorry, what was that, Tia?)
Attachments:

Re: Zelda Timeline 12 years ago #3233

I will forgive you...this time, because you also got the super awesome find Terranigma. A simplistic, yet unbelievably challenging game to do legitimately.

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds