Welcome, Guest
site unnavigable at low res
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: site unnavigable at low res

site unnavigable at low res 13 years, 7 months ago #1415

I'm at my folks' for a week and decided to break out my old restored G3 PDQ for some TLC (and to see how Tyrian ran on it; more there later...). However, it runs at 1024x768 and Macscene... doesn't. I'm seeing the Forums link in the header cut off save for ~2 pixels of the 'F', the Categories/My Discussions/Recent Discussions bar is scrunched vertically, blocking of posts is a bit odd, and there's no horizontal scroll bar to get at stuff that is clipped on the left or right. Browser is FireFox 2.0.0.6, the highest that will run on OSX 10.3.9.

Re: site unnavigable at low res 13 years, 7 months ago #1423

Well, I know that in Safari 3, 4 (didn't try 5 as I despise 4 and 5 and really despise 5) this site's header is fully visible at 1024x768. Same in FireFox 3. My guess is that you have preferences set for a larger resolution (thus a larger window). Click the green widget on the window's upper left, then resize to the full screen area and reload the site. That should do it. Safari shows the same behaviour if it is run at a high resolution, then run again at a lower resolution - it fails to resize the window properly and cuts things off, forcing you to manually downsize, then resize the window.

Re: site unnavigable at low res 13 years, 7 months ago #1427

Er... no, I'm pretty sure now trying it on my MBP in FF3.6.8 and Safari 5.0.1 that if I make the window narrower than the contents, things clip and no horizontal scroll appears. Even when I refresh the page in the narrower frame. Also, I keep my dock on the left, so even at 1024 res I rarely like using the full 1024 width. The issue is not so much that the site content won't fit in 1024 as that when constrained to <1024 there's no way to scroll over to see clipped content.

Re: site unnavigable at low res 13 years, 7 months ago #1430

I've removed the 'overflow-x: hidden' from my stylesheets. I used to leave this in place so I can hide things off screen and bring them into the screen (such as hover over images, tooltips, etc.). I now do it properly. Let me know if this helps alleviate the problem.

Re: site unnavigable at low res 13 years, 7 months ago #1432

Looks like it does- thanks!

Time to create page: 0.12 seconds